Help with saving movie trailers in Quicktime Pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ushabye, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    Before I fork out 42 Euros for Quicktime Pro can somebody clarify a few points which the Apple site doesn't make clear. The only reason I'm purchasing this is to be able to SAVE downloaded movie trailers from the Apple site and the likes of Countingdown.com and Comingsoon.com.

Now when one clicks on say, for example, the trailer for the new Woody Allen film HOLLYWOOD ENDING, currently it just downloads and then plays to you afterwards within the webpage, with no ability to save the file afterwards. Now if I purchase Quicktime Pro how will this give me a SAVE option as all of the trailer downloading is done within the browser and webpage of the website? Does QTpro install a new option within the web browser plug-in to save the file?

Plus will QTpro allow me to save trailers not just from the Apple site but as mentioned from Countingdown.com which has a similar save restriction?

Much obliged for anybodys help.

(Down get me started on having to pay to show movie commercials to my nephews, they should be payin' me goddammit!)

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Yes, the Pro version is worth it. Whenever you watch a Quicktime movie (on any website), you will get a small button with a context menu that will include the ability to save the movie to your hard drive. (Keep in mind that the "Save" option is only enabled once the whole movie is downloaded.)
    [​IMG]

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Also, the content provider has control over whether you can save a trailer or not. Yes, Pro makes it possible, but it can be locked out. If it is made not saveable, you just have to get it out of your cache and do a trick or two to save it.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

And you can just fish the QT files out of your Temporary Internet Files with regular Quicktime. That said, Pro is worth it now simply for the fact that the highest quality versions now require the Pro version. There's also some very elementary editting capabilities with it.