help with Samsung HLN567W setup

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James_Welch, Oct 27, 2004.

1. James_Welch

James_Welch Agent

A friend of my just bought a Samsung HLN567w. I helped them set it up and to say the least they are unimpressed with the picture using the a DVD play as a source. I did not have my test disk with but I did spend a fair amount of time play with the settings and could not get any close to the picture of my 55” RPTV Akai. This is the first DLP TV that I have really had any experience with but assumed that this TV would be far better than mine. Is it more difficult to get a good picture from a DLP compared to a RPTV? Am I expecting too much out of this TV? It is hard to get blacks to be really black with this TV. Also skin tones are really washed out. Does anyone have this TV with any tips?

2. John S

John S Producer

How is it being connected? certainly try other ways.

DVI? Component Video?

What DVD player again?

Also if the Display has Pscan / Faroudja / DCDi, you should try feeding it 480i and see if it is better.

Often times modern displays have really awesome Progressive Scan built in, these displays often excel on a 480i signal fed via component video.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Samsung DLP units have a reputation of not looking so great out of the box and many really really need a calibration because the internal factory settings are just plain wrong ...

Try a test disc, the the best solution is to try to eyeball a proper grayscale out of it.

Regards

4. James_Welch

James_Welch Agent

Thanks for the replies.

I used their DVD which is an older non progressive Samsung. But I also tried my Panasonic F85 (progressive) both using component. This set does have the Faroudja chip.

Someone from Tweeter is coming out tonight to set it up. I’m not sure what they will do but I will take my test disk over this weekend.

Are there other people who own this tv who are unhappy with it?

I think there are going to return it if Teeter or I cannot improve it over the weekend.

5. John S

John S Producer

Hooked up via component video? That is also key...

6. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

I won the 61" version of this TV and can say after 6 months of ownership, I am very happy with it.

Having said that, I don't have a 55" RPTV to compare the picture to so my opinion will vary greatly.

I realize the TV has some small quirks but most of these can be mitigated with some calibration (I used the AVIA disk to calibrate). I have found that the PQ is very DVD specific. Some DVD's look outstanding (Fifth Element, Star Wars, Indiana Jones) and some don't look so great (Angel, Kill Bill V1). So I think with time, your friends will come to appreciate the TV but it does have some limitations.

Not sure if that helps...

Dave