help with running multiple speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff H, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine is having a house built. His HT will be in the basement. He is running a seperate music only system on the main level. There will be 4 sets of in ceiling inwall speakers in 4 different rooms. He is getting volume control switches in each room. I need help in 2 areas. First, what kind of speakers do you recommend? He wants good sound and decent volume. Second, what should he use for amplification? The only source he will be using is a cd player, maybe a tuner. Should he get a receiver with a speaker switch box or some kind of multichannel amp? I don't think they care about playing different sources in different rooms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. John_Kiger

John_Kiger Agent

Jeff-

Your brother may consider two 70 volt A.C. systems for delivering the sound to the speakers--one amplifier for each L/R channel. These larger capacity systems are typically used in larger buildings, and take the burden off your home stereo amplifier. A small transformer is required for the drop at each speaker location. Since two amps would be used for stereo, separate left and right local adjustments would also be required. I installed a single channel version at a small bank once, and it worked fine. Look in places like Radio Shack catalog for this type of amplifier. I would say this is a low end solution. The specs of the amps and speakers selected would have to be considered.

John