1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

help with running multiple speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff H, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine is having a house built. His HT will be in the basement. He is running a seperate music only system on the main level. There will be 4 sets of in ceiling inwall speakers in 4 different rooms. He is getting volume control switches in each room. I need help in 2 areas. First, what kind of speakers do you recommend? He wants good sound and decent volume. Second, what should he use for amplification? The only source he will be using is a cd player, maybe a tuner. Should he get a receiver with a speaker switch box or some kind of multichannel amp? I don't think they care about playing different sources in different rooms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. John_Kiger

John_Kiger Agent

Jeff-

Your brother may consider two 70 volt A.C. systems for delivering the sound to the speakers--one amplifier for each L/R channel. These larger capacity systems are typically used in larger buildings, and take the burden off your home stereo amplifier. A small transformer is required for the drop at each speaker location. Since two amps would be used for stereo, separate left and right local adjustments would also be required. I installed a single channel version at a small bank once, and it worked fine. Look in places like Radio Shack catalog for this type of amplifier. I would say this is a low end solution. The specs of the amps and speakers selected would have to be considered.

John