Help with RP91 setup for DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Vargas, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

Here's what I've done so far and what I'm hearing (or not hearing, in my case). Any help would be appreciated.
    * Equipment: Panasonic RP91 (new), Denon AVR3200 (not new)
    * Connections: coax connection for Dolby Digital (works fine), 6-channel-out of the RP91 to the 6-channel-in of the 3200 for DTS and DVD Audio.
    * Used the RP91's audio test to confirm my 6-channel hookup was correct: heard the test tones fine and in the appropriate speakers.
    * Using the RP91's default Sound setup (digital audio output on (remaster off), no PCM downconversion, bitstream for Dolby Digital, PCM for DTS).
    * Since I don't have any DTS discs, I rented Eagles' Hell Freezes Over DTS from Netflix.
    * Selected DTS from the disc's main menu, switched 3200 over to 6-channel mode
    * Results: no signal from surrounds or sub, and the RP91's display says it's playing LPCM and not DTS.
    What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Thanks a bunch in advance; I'm pulling my hair out over this one.
    ------------------
    --cv--

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Chris,
    Change the setting on the 91 from PCM to Bitstream for DTS.
    Also, since the Denon has no dts decoder, just make sure that the 91 is set to decode dts. There is a setting in there somewhere that determines whether or not you are using the internal dts decoder on the 91.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's
    [Edited last by RicP on October 15, 2001 at 09:45 AM]

3. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

Thanks for the quick reply, Ric. I was following the manual's instructions, which say (yes, believe it or not, I have it with me) "DTS Digital Surround. PCM (Factory Preset): [Select this] when you have connected a unit that doesn't have a built in DTS decoder. (my emphasis)" That's why I didn't pick Bitstream; that and the further clumsily-worded sentence that says "These changes to digital audio output must be made, otherwise bitstream signals the decoder cannot handle will be output."
    This is the only place in the setup menus that seems to deal with turning on DTS decoding, and it implies that picking PCM lets it do the encoding (as opposed to bitstream, which would send the signal to a DTS-capable decoder).
    So I'm still confused. Thanks for the help, though.
    ------------------
    --cv--

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Chris,
    while I don't know the specifics of the RP91, I can explain the PCM/bitsream for DTS. It's just to prevent the DTS bitsream from being sent over digital connection to a receiver that doesn't know how to decode it -- with potential damage to the speakers. So if you switch the receiver to 5.1 input before you start playing DTS, then having DTS output set to bitsream should be fine. Maybe it has to be set to bitsream fo rthe internal decoder to process it.

5. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Chris you can use the LCPM from the RP91 but you would have to:
    1) use the analog outputs(6) from the RP91 into your Denon's preouts, as you indicated you have already done
    2) set your Denon to receive the signal from an exteranl decoder - in this the RP91
    Using the analog outputs is not necessary for DTS only for DVD-A.
    To use the digital DTS stream only - connect a toslink or coax cable between the RP91 and your Denon. Select external decoder - or whatever Denon calls it - to have the RP91 decode the DTS and pass along to your receiver. Set the DTS to bitstream on the RP91.
    No analog connections are needed.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup
    [Edited last by Lou Sytsma on October 15, 2001 at 10:22 AM]

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

multi-post F-up....
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on October 15, 2001 at 02:41 PM]

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Multi-post - Hey I'm an admin I should delete this so it looks like I never screwed up.... [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on October 15, 2001 at 02:42 PM]

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Lou, no offense but I believe your statements are completely wrong! [​IMG]
    His receiver has a 5.1 in and no DTS decoder. Therefore the 6 channel analog connection is DEFINITELY required for DTS as well as DVD-Audio sound.
    Chris,
    My Technics DVD-A10 is similar to your RP-91. If you are seeing the "PCM" sign on the display of the DVD player you simply have the wrong track selected to play on the DVD. I had to do nothing on my DVD-A10 to get it to send 5.1 analog DTS audio out of the regular outputs. Just select the dts track in the menu and set the receiver to 5.1 input and enjoy. It's no more complicated than that.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

9. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

(sorry for redundant msgs -- thought the forum software had locked up).
    [Edited last by Chris Vargas on October 15, 2001 at 02:42 PM]

10. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

Phil: thanks for your message, and confirmation that things should be working as I expected them.
    With the Hell Freezes Over DVD, you're only given a choice to select DTS or PCM at the very beginning of the disc, right when you put it in. I haven't found a way to get back to that opening selection other than ejecting and reinserting the disc. Plus, you can't seem to change audio streams during playback.
    Maybe I'll rent another DTS disc and see if I have better results...
    [Edited last by Chris Vargas on October 15, 2001 at 02:46 PM]

11. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

Everyone: thanks for the replies. I will try some of these settings tonight when I get back home. I guess it's worth a try to switch the DTS setting to bitstream, although the dire warnings in the manual of speaker-damaging noise was what stopped me from doing so (since my denon does not have a DTS decoder). I'll just be sure that the input is set to 6-channel before making the switch.
    I was originally hoping to use the 3200 as the DD decoder and the RP91 as the DTS decoder. And as I explained in my original post, the coax cable from RP91 dig.out->3200 dig.in is working fine for DD DVDs. Maybe, to avoid having to switch inputs, I should just let the RP91 decode both DD and DTS, and only connect the two via 6-channel analog?
    Thanks again for any help (I'm hoping someone out there is in a similar boat as me, with an RP91 and DD-only receiver, who can tell me their setup).
    ------------------
    --cv--

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sorry my browser went BONKERS on this thread. I think it may have been a server issue. I'm going to fix the thread if I can.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't know about that particular DTS title. I have the CD but I'm not really an Eagles fan so I have no interest in the DVD.quote: Everyone: thanks for the replies. I will try some of these things tonight when I get back home. I guess it's worth a try to switch DTS to bitstream, although the dire warnings of speaker-damaging noise was what stopped me from doing so (since my Denon does not have a DTS decoder, I'll have to make sure and switch to 6-channel-input prior to doing so).[/quote]Keep your volumes down. You should not hear that noise. On my Technics DVD-A10 I get that terrible noise on ONE DTS CD. Every other DTS CD and DVD I've tried sends out a really bad sounding but recognizable stereo audio signal through the main L/R while playing 5.1.
    quote: I was originally hoping to use my 3200 as the decoder for Dolby Digital and the RP91 as the decoder for DTS. And as I explained in my original post, the coax cable from RP91 digital out -> AVR3200 digital in is working fine. But maybe, to keep from having to switch inputs, I should just let the RP91 do both DD and DTS decoding, and just connect the two via the 6-channel-outputs?[/quote]That'w what I'd recommend, unless the Denon sounds significantly better for Dolby Digital. I'm planning on using my DVD-10 for all 5.1 audio, not using my DD decoder (of course, I'm using an external decoder to start with). You can set up a macro on your universal (if you have one)to select external audio and the appropriate video.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on October 15, 2001 at 02:49 PM]

14. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Phil - you're absolutely correct! [​IMG]
    Sorry Chris! [​IMG] My bad!
    Just set your Denon to recognize the external decoding being done by the RP91 - set the DTS to PCM and it should work OK.
    Chris - you're right about HFO - I have the disc and you cannot change audio on the fly.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup
    [Edited last by Lou Sytsma on October 15, 2001 at 03:04 PM]

15. Scott Gaffney

Chris:
    I have an RP-91 hooked up to my Outlaw 1050 via both a Digitial Coax and the 5.1 analog cables (into the 1050's direct inputs).
    The analog cables are necesary to use the DVD-Audio. However, I also use it for my DTS movies. Because, although the 1050 does DTS decoding, it cannot pull out a center-rear from the audio like it can for the DD. So, I sent the DTS decided through the analog inputs to the 1050, put the receiver in Direct mode and then hit the 6.1 button and I then have matrixed 6.1 DTS.
    I tend to let the 1050 decode my DD movies, but, the truth is, I can't tell a difference if I simply let the RP-91 do them and let it go via the analog inputs just as I do w/ DTS.
    Good luck!
    sdg
    ------------------

16. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

Scott: do you remember, or can you check, what your settings are on the RP91 to have it decode DTS? Is it the one I mentioned earlier, "PCM" vs "Bitstream"? That's the only pertinent setting I could find.
    Hope I don't have to buy a DTS disc just to see if things are working as they should... right now I'm even suspicious of the disc. Gotta isolate those variables...
    ------------------
    --cv--

17. Scott Gaffney

chris:
    DTS is set to PCM. (which should have been the default) It has to be otherwise it would be sent to the receiver still encoded. Since your receiver can't decode it, you'd get nothing.
    If you have it set to PCM and your analog cables are hooked up properly, and your receiver is in the direct mode, and you still aren't getting anything, then, try another disc. Don't buy, just go rent a copy of Gladiator or something.
    Hope that works!
    sdg
    ------------------

18. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

OK, the mystery is solved! The culprit? Apparently, after choosing DTS from the main screen of the disc, if you don't sit like a good boy and watch all the FBI warnings and Image Entertainment animated logo junk, and just chapter skip right to the Eagles, it doesn't pick DTS and gives you LPCM instead. I guess that's your punishment.
    If, instead, you let everything play, you eventually get the DTS trailer, and DTS does indeed come on and stays on. And sounds great.
    Thanks for all the help; raspberries to DVD titles that don't let you switch audio streams on the fly.
    ------------------
    --cv--

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Great! Glad you got it working!
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm