What's new

Help with router cutouts (1 Viewer)

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
Mike those actually look like they would spin when you try to take them out. They don't look like they will grab the wood very well. Or did you glue them in the hole?
Actually, the female (long plug) side of it has little teeth for about 3/8" of the run so when you put it into the wood, it holds fairly well, but both of the sides have a phillips head so you could use 2 screwdrivers. For me, the pilot holes were tight enough that the receptacle part held in place by itself quite well and did not present any problems.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Here are the ones to use in MDF:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdet...ID=72&CATID=22
To reinforce the MDF and give some additional strength and thickness for inserts and screws to bite into, I glue blocks of 1/2" plywood to the inside of front baffles at the driver mounting screw locations. You don't need to cut a ring of plywood for this - just use scrap plywood at the mounting holse locations. I've even used scrap pieces of oak.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
So, has everyone decided which is best for MDF? I'll be needing some in the near future too. So are 1/4" bolts good for mounting the tempest?

Does partsexpress sell any threaded inserts?

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
The only thing I've ever used is #10 x 3/4" pan head screws. As long as you drill a pilot hole, no problems. If you'll be removing it often, put a drop of wood glue in the hole and then run the screw in.

Pete

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Kinda OT: Im about to stuff this baby with Polyfill. Is there a good way to keep that stuff up in the cabinet? I dont want it on the driver or the port openings.

I was thinking of cramming all I could through the holes in the braces. That might hold this polyfill. Am I correct? Is there a good method?

I didnt get batting, it is the fill. Looks like a clump of cotton. Ya know... :b

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

I used 1/4" bolts in my older SV12 enclosures and they worked fine. I did have to run a 1/4" drill bit through the mounting holes to make them large enough for the bolts but the holes were just slightly smaller so visually you wouldn't know the difference.

Brian

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
When I was at WalMart getting the Polyfil, I also purchased some nylon netting. Don't know what it's "trade name" is, but it's very light and has maybe 1/4" openings thru the netting.
Hope that makes sense. It was embarrassing enough wheeling a cart full of polyfill and assorted stuff thru the store :).
Pete

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Pete,
Think of wheeling around the cart full of polyfill the same way you would if you're walking through the grocery store with a box of tampons in hand! I always think of it as, "Yeah, I got a woman!"
So if anyone makes a comment about the polyfill just give them a manly snarl and tell them you're building a big ass subwoofer that will launch small animals and children into the stratosphere!:)
Brian
EDIT: BTW, this thread is a good example why many of us are suggesting against T-nuts:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=60052

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks