Help with room acoustics.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,

I've had my GR-research A/V 1's for about a week now. They sound good with most slower music but when I play upbeat music they sound a bit thin, it's almost like the tweeter overpowers every thing else. I noticed that cymbals and sometimes guitars drain out the vocals a bit. I'm almost 100% sure it's due to room acoustics. I tried the clap test and it echoed clearly a few times. It's a little hard to explain what shape my room is but I will give it a try. My room is in my finished basement. The whole basement is in a square shape with a "half room" that extends out from the main area about 15' long and 15' wide. The area that extends is kind of like a room with one wall missing. Anyway my HT is in the extended area. I think the biggest problem is that all the walls are bare. I'm wanting to build some good DIY panels but I'm not sure how. I bought some foam egg crate mattress pads and they didn't help any. I tried to do a search here on HTF for DIY acoustic panels but it didn't work for some reason. Got any suggestions? Thanks.

Ryan

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

You may be in luck, I just finished testing my acoustic panels the other day and they ended up being a lot more effective than 4" thick open cell egg crate foam.
    http://www.angelfire.com/sports/RCca...tic_panels.htm
    These will most certainly reduce the amount of high frequency bounce in the room but then again so should egg crate foam.
    I have a pair of AV-3s and the tweeters seem to actually lack a forward feel to them. Room dimensions should not really effect high frequencies but the walls might if they are hard like concrete.
    Another tweak is to aim the tweeters slightly off axis to reduce the amount of high frequencies such as aiming them straight forward.
    If you still experience a bright speaker then I'd check the speaker itself for technical problems.

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I just took the speakers apart today to add polyfil and to make sure everything is connected correctly. Everything looks good. I did use disconnects to connect the crossover wires to the speaker terminals. Could that cause the speakers to sound thin? Also when I originally put the egg crate foam on my walls I just used one layer of 1" thick foam. I went back today and stacked four layers together and I did notice a difference this time. It sounds like it cut the echoes in half from clapping my hands. But I could not really tell a difference in the speakers sound. I think I'm going to make some panels using fiberglass, maybe they will absorb the highs better.

Ryan