Help with riser, speaker placement, etc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty D., Feb 12, 2002.

1. Marty D.

Marty D. Agent

Just finished deconstructing my new space for our HT room. The dimemsions are 11' x 17' with 8' ceilings. One end will have a new wall and door. The other three sides are solid frame.

I have decided to install a riser from the back wall(11' wide) for seating. This is opposite the wall with the door and soon to be purchased RPTV. I was thinking about bringing the riser out 5' so I had 1' behind the rear listening position and 1' for leg room( loveseat is 3.5' deep)hence the 5'. I was going to use 2x6's to get 6" height.

My questions are this:

1)With a 55 -57" RPTV how far should the closest seating position.

2) how high should the riser be given the 2 seats (couch and sofa) are the same height.

3) I am planning on getting dipolar rears. Where should they be placed on the side wall to allow both seating areas to maximize surround effects.

4) Are there any things that I need to think about like adding a rear center surround jack. Or using riser space to negotiate wire paths.

BTW my plans seem to keep changing and every time they change it has a direct correlation to the amount of money being spent.

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

3. Marty D.

Marty D. Agent

Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions. First, what are your room dimensions. Secondly, I am also going to wire for 6.1/7.1. I have direct radiators for the center rear. Where should they be mounted? I thought directly behind the listener spaced evenly apart. I see yours are in the corner. In my previous 5.1 setup I did that but found the sound to be too localized at times depending on your proximaty to the speaker. Also if I do place them in the back they will fire over the rear seating area. Does that matter. Of course, I could put them in the corner firing in and down at the listening area.

I love the curtains. How much were they. And the M&K suurrounds. I have listened to paradigm, def tech, etc. Not M&K though. Lastly, I am concerned with the RPTV and the viewing height affecting the screen view (those dark areas...don't know the term). I see you went FPTV. What are some ballpark costs for a decent setup. I was going to spend about $3500 on a RPTV.

Sorry about all the questions. Hopefully, I can return the favor someday. Unfortunatley, I don't have alot of help in my endeavor. It seems as though it will go on forever. Having to make all these decisions and contemplate the impacts are enough to drive one crazy.

4. Bernard Drapeau

Hi Marty,
    First, apologise my (poor) english, I'm a french speaking person so be kind with me! ;-)
    You room dimension are similar to mine (10,5 by 18 by 7,5).
    I thing you should utilise 2X8 or 2X10 to bulid your raiser. I personnaly had use 2X6 and regret it today... It «do the job» but, two inches more will be appreciated.
    If you want to see result of my work: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28885.html
    It's not totally done but soon...
    I hope this help.

5. Marty D.

Marty D. Agent

Bernard,

I can assure you that your French-English is alot better than my English-French.

Your room is alot like mine except for my door is on the right. It is not a "French Door" either. My riser was going to be on the opposite end. On the door side I was going to put my equipment and have a curtain that would slide accross the back wall.

I would love to get a screen and FPTV but I am afraid that I cannot afford it at this time. I am wonder how the height of 8 inches will affect the view of a RPTV. That is something I will have to consider.

I like the colors and the sconce lights. I too will paint a reddish burgandy color. We may go for a vintage decor.

One question is what type of seats are you going to use?

6. Bernard Drapeau

Hi again,
    I will probably go for some recliner seat. For the moment, I'm not sure. I'm looking from place to place to make my mind. I'm still searching....
    [​IMG]
    Have a nice day!
    Bernard

7. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Bernard,

Very nice HT! I would leave it with just the single seat. "Theater For One" That way no one can disrupt your movie, as long as you lock the door behind you!

Where did you get your sconces? I really like the looks of them!

8. Bernard Drapeau

Thank you Dennis for your good words.

I bought them at «Réno-Dépôt» (I think in english it's «The bulding box»). Unfortunately this store was only present in Quebec and Ontario here in Canada.