1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with ringing in ears

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tom_Mack, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have had a slight, but definitely noticeable ringing (tinnitus?) in my ears for about a year or two. More noticeable some days than others. It is a high pitched noise that is only noticeable when everything is quiet. My wife has the same problem. The odd thing about it is that it is most noticeable in my house (I am pretty sure that it is not a noise in the house though. It really seems to be in my head.) Now it could be that I notice it here because it is quiet, but recently I went to Florida on vacation and I never noticed it one bit. It could be that it was there, but I never noticed because I was running around all day and was too exhausted to notice/care at night, but I would think that I would have noticed at least once.

Any one else have the same ringing? Obviously, I need to see a doctor, but any remedies to try out before then? I have heard some success with Ginkgo Biloba. Anything else? Could there actually be something at my house to cause this?

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Tom
    Get a wax removal kit and clean them good a couple times.
    Still have a problem, see a doctor and get a hearing test.
    I have the Bells of St Mary in one ear from a Car accident.
    I should be happy to be alive, but at times I could scream.
    Silence is not golden; its maddening. Even bought a hearing aid to mask it....not much relief and I very rarely use it.
    good luck I sincerely hope it goes away for you
    there is no cure otherwise
    grant

3. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I've had tinnitus for about 5 years now. Most audiologists will tell you there is no way to get rid of it. There is, however, a "noise-cancelling" treatment to teach your brain to ignore it. It's an electronic ear device that sends out a noise at the same frequency and tone as your "bells" (I call them my "crickets.") I've never had the patience to wear the one that the Navy gave me, so I just live with the noise.

It counts toward my disability rating, as my tinnitus is a result of my military service (aircraft carriers) and my diabetes!

4. andrew markworthy

I've had tinnitus all my life - some times it's worse than others, but generally like most long-lasting things you can get used to it.

My advice is get to a doctor to get it checked up - just to reassure you, it's very rarely due to anything serious, but it's something you should nonetheless get checked. If it's a simple case of wax in the ear, it's easily treated.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I have mild tinnitus and my friend has somewhat severe tinnitus. We take Gingko Biloba and mine can be controlled to the point that the ringing is now only ocassional (after 2 years of taking Gingko) and my friend from severe down to mild after 3 years of taking Gingko.

We buy the package from Costco and double the dosage for the first year, 1.5 dosage for the second year, then recommended dosage for the 3rd year.

My friend is still taking 1x dosage and I'm taking 1x dosage for 1 bottle, then nothing for the same period, back to gingko for another bottle and so forth.

6. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Asprin can cause ringing in the ears. I had a doctor tell me a few years ago while suffering from head aches, that I will have taken too much when my ears start ringing. Some people can be affected by even 1 or two tablets.

No, I did not make this up, the doc actually said it.

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Are there any major transformers or electricity sub-stations in your area? I thought I was going nuts for a while with a high pitched ringing in my ears at night, but seemingly only around my house.

I eventually tracked it down to a local utility power transformer about two blocks away. There was nothing I could do about it until I moved, but at least I knew it wasn't me.

Adam

8. andrew markworthy

9. Tom_Mack

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't had any aspirin in weeks so I'm sure that isn't it.

Its much more noticeable at my home than at other quiet areas, so I'll have to look into local power transformers.

At work I don't hear any ringing, but there are many other noises going on all day. My basement HT room is very quiet and the ringing can be very noticeable down there. Its definitely most noticeable at night in bed. I'll be trying to sleep and I'm distracted by it and then I can't sleep. I have a "noisemaker" that plays the sounds of ocean waves to help me sleep at night.

Thanks for letting me know its not just me!

10. Tom_Mack

Well I was wrong about just noticing it around the house (there goes that transformer idea...), I'm at work and can still hear it, but it is noisier here and covers most of the ringing up.

I set up a doctors appointment for today....

11. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Tom,

I've had tinnitus for 2-3 years now, but lately (the last 3-4 months) it seems to have gotten worse. I've done a lot of research about it online and have been seeing an ENT doctor, to no avail. I've been taking Ginko Biloba and Vitamin B complex for about a month, with maybe only the slightest improvement. From what I understand these vitamin therapies can take months or even years, if they work at all.

There are a lot of causes of tinnitus:

Ear wax buildup
    Hearing damage from loud noises
    Hearing damage from sticking things in your ears
    TMJ
    Sinus and allergies
    Nerve damage
    High Cholestrol
    Depression/Stress
    Medicinal reactions
    Ear infections

I have TMJ, though I don't know if this is the cause of it. I didn't treat my ears kindly as a teen and still have a job that requires me to wear headphones all day and listen to signals of varying quality.

I hear it worst at night, and I can almost ignore it during the day, but can still hear the ringing clearly if I listen for it.

Other treatments I am going to try include accupuncture and possibly hyper-barric chamber/oxygen treatment (very expensive).

I think I have more medical choices here in Germany than you would have in the US though. Accupuncture, homeopathy and "unproven" treatments are very big over here.

ADMINS: Would it be possible to get a wider distrubution of this thread (or one like it)? I think this is a very important topic among HTFers who value their hearing greatly.

12. Tom_Mack

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that I have had the ringing for about 1 year (or possibly longer). For a long time I have assumed that the noise was from around the house and not in my head. I was just this past weekend that I discovered it was me. Who knows, I may have had this for a lot longer and just never noticed.

I go to rock concerts less than once a year and don't listen to music or HT at reference level. The last concert I was at was Billy Joel/Elton John last February. It wasn't too loud of a show, but there was one instance of feedback that went through the whole speaker system. I doubt't that could have done in my ears by it self, but if it did I hope to never find the sound engineer that did that show!

My primary doc is sending me to a ENT. He didn't sound to encouraging about treatments. I figure I'll try the Ginkgo for a few months and see if it helps any.

My ringing is not that loud, but my home is quiet and therefore it is noticeable. I enjoy going camping in the summer, but I worry a little that the ringing will be more noticeable there. It depresses me when I realize that I may never hear pure silence again....

13. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Hormonal disturbances can also cause tinnitus. Although they are found most often in women, men can have thyrpid problems as well, so you may want to research hypo/hyperthyroidism to see if that is a possibility as well.

14. Tom_Mack

Its been awhile since I started this thread, but I thought I'd give an update.

I went to the ENT and first thing he did was give me a hearing exam. There was no hearing loss at all. He told me that my ringing was an "enigma".

Came back a week later to have an inner ear test. The doc said that there was an abnormality on my right side and they would have to do an MRI to check for an Acoustic Nouroma. I asked him to explain the inner ear results and why if there was a problem in the right ear was the ringing slightly louder in the left ear. I never got an explanation on the inner ear test, but was told that the left side noise could just be the left ear trying to balance itself out. He then rushed me out before I could ask anything else.

I had the MRI and came back for the results. The MRI showed no signs of an acoustic nouroma. The ENT then said "so why does a healthy, 28 year old have ringing in their ears..... I have no idea. Come back if anything gets worse.." With that he left before I could ask for any suggestions on at least dealing with the noise. I'm hoping to find another ENT who will at least explain some things to me instead of "well at least its not fatal... deal with it".....

Quiet movies have really brought out the noise lately... I was watching the dialog driven "Road to Perdition" last night and the ringing was distracting.

A couple questions for those who share the same problem:

1. Can you listen to soft music without being distracted?

2. What helps you deal with the noise: during the day and when trying to sleep?

3. Do you know of anyone who has had tinnitus "go away" either temporarily or permanently?

Thanks for listening!!!!

15. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Tom, Believe it or not you are not the only young person to have Tinnitus, I'm 17 and I have it[​IMG] I've had it almost all of my life. My problem started in elementary school when a wax ear protector got stuck down my ear, after they got it out I noticed my problem and it's been there ever since. According to the ENT I saw recently, I am the only person he has ever treated whose tinnitus is neurological and most likely has it common from their brain.I can say that once you have it for awhile you almost never notice it. I almost never notice mine anymore unless it is real quiet. To Answer your questions:
    1. I am able to listen to all my music and soft HT with ease, my tinnitus doesn't seem to hinder it.
    2.During the day I don't really notice mine, I notice it more at night when I go to bed and to cure that I use a alarm clock with nature sounds on it which does the job quite well.
    I can't really answer your last question because no one else I know has tinnitus. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

16. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

17. Tom_Mack

18. Stacey R

Stacey R Extra

Unfortunately, I might have joined the club of people suffering with this. Last night my girlfriend and I went to a concert. Of all bands that it could have been, it was Duran Duran. Now, the right side of my head sounds like I have a machine in it. I'm really hoping I get lucky and it goes away in the next day or so. I just didn't think that that band would play that loud. It didn't even cross my mind to think about my ears. I feel really foolish because I don't even cut the grass without wearing ear plugs. Right now, it's not quite as intense but the ringing is quite loud.

Stacey

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

That can be a symptom of hearing damage, though it doesn't necessarily mean permanent damage. The ringing should subside in a day or two as the ear recovers. Just make sure you don't subject yourself to that kind of volume too often.

20. Darren Crouse

Darren Crouse Stunt Coordinator

I second (or third) the notion of getting the ringing checked out by a qualified ENT. I recently was diagnosed with Acoustic Neuroma a few weeks ago. However, I might add that I did have episodic vertigo as well. Since your wife has similar problems I doubt this is related to a tumour.

Take care,
    Darren.