What's new

Help with Revel or B&W speakers, opinions (1 Viewer)

MichaelHL

Auditioning
I am looking to upgrade my Def Tech speakers and wanted some help with deciding here. I could not find much information on Revel's at all here but I know they are top quality. The local stores here carry Revel's and B&W. I am looking at doing a bookshielf all around for music and HT, but I love a very musical speaker taht is accurate and detailed. My choice right now is the Revel M20 or B&W 805 as they both sounds great and in the right price range for a whole set for HT and music. Any opinions on these? I know there are alot of good speakers out there, but these are the only two I can listen to right now. I am weary of buying without listening. Any suggestions with other speakers is also appreaciateed as well. I will probably be driving them with a Integra 9.1, Yamaha RXV1, or Denon 4802 Receiver. Still auditioning them. Probably run a SVS sub or M&K sub as well. Input would be great. Thanks a bunch guys.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
What kind of Def Techs do you have? The 2000TL's are very musical and killer for home theater (I have them mated with yamaha dspA1, sony cd player, and Monster cables and I have yet to find their match for music even after hearing Martin Logan, Mirage, Dynaudio, etc.)...but if you are looking for bookshelfs maybe you should consider their power monitors. As far as b&w goes, many people seem to love the cdm series. What is your price range? I am sure that there are lots of great options. Good luck!
[Edited last by Bob_A on August 13, 2001 at 04:57 PM]

KeithR

Second Unit
The M20 is one of the best bookshelves I have ever heard...loads better than the 805.
Check out www.soundstage.com for a pretty decent review of the Revels.
Also check avsforum.com in the audio section, and you will find hundreds of Revel posts.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Welcome to the Forum Michael.
Here is a link on a E-Bay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1262757282
I own a pair of the Revel F-30s. Had them for about a month now and really like the clean sound that Revel put out. I'm using a M&K MX-125 and a 20-39 SVS powered with a Carver Cube which bridged puts out 500wpc to work the bass below 35hz. I was thinking of the M20s as rear channel speakers at some time. I haven't heard the M20s first hand but reading a few reviews and knowing the quality of my F30s I don't think you can go wrong. But for the cost of the M20s. There are many other speakers that may give the M20s some competition. Take your time and try out as many brands as available. Speakers are a personnel purchase and worth taking your time on. I took two years to come up with the F-30s. Good Luck!
------------------

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, if the e-Bay listing is honest, the buy-now option is a steal.
I have listened extensively to B&W 800 Nautilus series speakers and the Revel Performa speakers.
You can't go wrong with either the 805 or the M20 BUT IMO the M20 bests the 805 in 2 areas.
The mid-range on the Revel is really there.
Detailed, natural, open, airy, spacious.
The Revel's sweet spot is unbelievably large.
Numerous times I've sat directly in front of the left or right speaker or even outside of the speakers and still was presented with a well-defined image. No smearing, no collapse, really quite astounding.
One caveat, these speakers only reproduce the source, they won't soften or sweeten it.
Oh, one other thing, the Revels can be placed much closer to the rear wall and still preserve the image.
This is really a nice feature if your room is smallish or multi-function, i.e., isn't used just for music or HT.
Buy those Revels, you won't be sorry.

MichaelHL

Auditioning
Thanks for the options guys. Actually, I can only use a bookshelf type speaker as that is what my room permits in front next to the TV on a Bello Stand. Going to put bookshelfs in front and rear, one center rear and one front, probably with two SVS subs. Going for music 2 Channel, and surround music, as well as HT. I have heard both 805 and M20, Revels seem a bit more clear and tighter bass, but both are awesome. 805 have a little more boom to them but and are very detailed as well, Just something about the M20 that seem alittle more dynamic and precise, but the 805 are no slouch. Anyone else seem to think this>? Opinions are appreciated.
------------------
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks