Help with replacing Toslink connector on satellite receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Allan, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Jason Allan

Jason Allan Auditioning

Hi everyone,
    Hopefully this is an appropriate forum for my question. I have a DishNet 4900 receiver with Dolby Digital out but unfortunately it got damaged recently and the optical out doesn't work anymore. I opened it up and found the optical connector had been jarred and the pins to the PCB got broken off. It should be relatively easy to replace since there's only three solder points but I'm not sure what the appropriate replacement part is.
    I can tell the device is made by Sharp because of the "S" logo stamped on it. I had a look at Digi-Key and found the following:
    http://info.digikey.com/C023/V5/0972.pdf In the Fiber Optics section the device shown in Fig. 2 is exactly the same so I'm sure that's it. However, there's more than one part available that matches that figure which is where I'm stuck. I'm assuming it must be a transmitter since it's the audio output from the receiver, but there are still three types of transmitter.
    Does anyone know what the appropriate one would be?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. NikhilC

NikhilC Auditioning

Jason,
    The Sharp GP1FA511TZ should be fine in this application - out of the three available through Digi-key, this is the more standard type. The GP1FA350TZ is a low voltage type, designed for portable or battery powered devices, while the GP1FA551TZ is a high speed type - not necessary here. The latter transmitter also uses standard dust protection caps whereas the GP1FA511TZ is using the newer shuttered design - quite convenient.
    You can find pin-outs and other interesting information from Sharp's datasheets:
    http://sharp-world.com/products/devi...table/082.html
    Good luck!
    -Nikhil

3. Jason Allan

Jason Allan Auditioning

Thanks Nikhil,

That's the one I figured was the most likely candidate but it's nice to get some confirmation!

Thanks a lot,
    Jason