Help with replaceing an older Yamaha receiver with separates

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James_Welch, Jun 9, 2004.

1. James_Welch

James_Welch Agent

What to replace my Yamaha receiver with out breaking the bank? I have changed my mind about one hundred times over the past month and thought I would in list some outside help. I currently have a Yamaha RSV596 (Non DD but has 6 discrete ins, no optical ins) an adcom GFA 5500 for the main amp. Boston VR950’s front speakers, CRC center, A60 rear and a paradigm sub (forget the model).

Music and movies are a 50/50 split I don’t care about bells and whistles but I do care about getting the most performance for the buck. Here is the list of options that I have been going over:

1.)Outlaw 950 Outlaw 7 X 100 amp ~$1,700
    Pros—Cheapest, Ready for 7.1
    Cons---Have not heard any Outlaw equipment, amp might be under powered compared to my Adcom.

2.)Outlaw 950 Adcom 5503 3 X 200 amp ~$2,200
    Pros---The 5503 will match my 5500, enough power for my needs. I think this will offer good performance for the buck but the Outlaw is still an unknown to me.
    Cons---No local Adcom dealer (does anyone know of a dealer in Northern VA), Will only be capable of 5 channels.

3.)Rotel RSP 1068 Rotel RMB 1066 5 X 120 amp ~$2,500
    Pros---My locally owned H/T-Audio store carries Rotel products. Have heard that Rotel products are of a very high quality. Have been able to listen to this combo. Will be capable of 7.1
    Cons-- amp might be under powered compared to my Adcom. Might be getting a little pricey.

4) Forget the separates, buy a $600 receiver w/preamps out and a SVS sub.

Sorry for the rambling. But I would really like for someone who has made this decision before to maybe nudge me in one direction or the other. My Basement will be finished in a month and would like to have the receiver replaced by then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

depending on what type of sub setup you have, I would go with the SVS sub and reciever. A good subwoofer can really transform an HT system and IMO is a vital part of the puzzle. I would look for a good reciever and continue to use the Adcom on the mains, this will free up alot of power from the reciever for the other channels, and you would have a killer subwoofer system to augment the rest of the components.

3. Dwayne-S

Dwayne-S Agent

I have a Yamaha HTR-5280 with an SVS PB2+ sub. Setting all 5 speakers connected to the receiver to "small" eliminates quite a bit of the amplifier load on the Yammie since low frequencies take a lot of juice. So the 110 WPC is more than enough to drive my Athena speakers, and the PB2+ blends nicely. I too have an Adcom amp (2 channel) but have never found the need to hook it up to run the mains. I will use it for a zone 2 amp in the future.

4. Dwayne-S

Dwayne-S Agent

I would consider the new Yamaha HTR-5790. You can get it on-line for under $600. It has pre-outs so you can add amps in the future. The Yamaha processing and decoders work great. The internal decoders of my Sony CD changer can't hold a candle to the Yamaha's decoder. Huge sound difference. Plus the Yamaha has discrete IR codes so if you have a Pronto remote - you can do some nifty things like create multiple presets for the receiver.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Keep the 5500, and you’ll have 7 channel capability.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If it's not just about saving money, I'd go with the Rotel setup for overall quality. If you do want to save some money, then the receiver and SVS would be my next choice.

DJ

7. James_Welch

James_Welch Agent

Thanks for the responses. Maybe the receiver/ SVS sub will give me the most noticeable performance gain for my dollar.

I do have a question on the Yamaha receivers. What is the difference between the HTR and RXV lines. Both seem to offer models in the same price ranges, features and power such as the RX-V1400 and the HTR5790.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

They are basically the same thing "under the hood" at a given price point, but each are sold to different types of retailers. The HTR series is most often seen at mass market merchants & department stores while the RXV line is sold by A/V specialty stores. There is also a difference in the way the amps are rated(20-20kHz in the RXV line and at 1kHz in the HTR line)and the color of the lettering on the faceplate(white and gold for the RXV and HTR series respectively).

DJ

9. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Get a used Rotel RSP 1066 and the RMB 1075. Combo should be around $2K.

10. James_Welch

James_Welch Agent

Just an update. I decided to break the bank and get the Rotel RSP 1068, RMD 1075 amp and the SVS 20-39PCi.. I picked up the Rotel pieces during lunch today. The bad part is that I have to this evening to hook it up. I will order the sub next week.