Help with recording sound from HD Sat. Reciever?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jean D, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Im hoping I put this in the right forum, if not please place in the right one.

Ok, Im not sure if this can be done, but I saw a show called "Music In High Places "Craig David"" on Bravo HD using my Hughes E86 reciever from DirecTV. It was excellent, sounded incredible, and I want it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to record the audio portion onto some form of digital media. basically I would like to create mp3's of these songs to listen to at work or in the car. my E86 has an optical output, and I beleive the show was sent in 5.1 but I dont want it in 5.1
    Anyone have any experiance or information on doing this?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

What you would have to do is set the Sat box to PCM (turn Off the DD bitstream Option). As such, you would get a 2 CH PCM mix of the 5.1 content.

From there, you may be able to record it on a consumer CD-R deck, or perhaps into a soundcard on a PC. Or maybe not.

Having said all that, I have not tried that. A big fly in the ointment would be if the content is flagged to turn on the SCMS system in the CD-R deck (I would guess a PC would ignore that).

I could probably give it a try when time permits. I have an HDTivo, and do get BravoHD. All I would need to do is set the output to PCM, and see of my Pio CD-R deck knows what to do with it.

If thats a no go, then you would have to go analog.

BGL

3. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I have an older mini-disc recorder with an optical input, perhaps if I set the sat. reciever to pcm, connected it to the mini-disc player and record the audio as it plays. Then using that mini-disc, connect my Net-MD Walkman to my laptop to import it to the computer. think that will work? unfortunatly, my computer is an older Mac G4 without those capabilities, and my laptop doenst have a soundcard or a cd-burner. So I dont know if those suggestions would work.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

It should, so long as the PCM stream is not flagged to prevent it.

While maybe apples to oranges, I found that I could not copy the audio of 2CH music videos that are on certain DVDs (the Madonna Video on one of the Austin Powerrs DVDs, for example).

Not sure what was going on, but my CDR flashed "Can Not Record". So, I don't know if that was a copy prevention scheme, or of the data was just not standard 44.1/16but PCM. And I am not sure what you actually get from a Sat box when the source if DD 5.1, but the digital out is set for PCM.

I should be able to try my theory out at lunch time, and will advise.

BGL

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, looks like you may be good to go.

I tuned to BravoHD, and they were doing another MIHP show, in DD 2.0. My CDR deck said "Can Not Record", but when I switched to a non DD channel (meaning regular PCM audio) it was OK with that.

So, I set the Sat box to PCM, and switched back to Bravo, and it looks like my deck can record it. Now, I did not actually make a recording, but the monitor did not say "Can Not Record".

So, you should be OK recording to your mini-disc machine, unless there is something else that would screw the pooch.

BGL

6. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I've recorded dish audio before with a home CD recorder and never noticed any SCMS flag. Like Brian, I've done the same with DVDs and sometimes had flag problems. Worst case, you have to use the analog outs. Obviously you have to deal with D/A and A/D coversions, but I've been happy with the results when I've done this. This is the same process I use when I copy single-layer SACDs. For me, I really have to like the music, because I find it kind of time consuming.
    I have no idea how to do this with a computer. I know many here have some great ideas/computer programs for recording to a computer.

Regards
    KrisM

7. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Awesome guys, thank you. Ill try to hook it up tonight when I get home from work, and see what comes of it. Ill also let you know what I find out and how/if Im able to do it. But I'm excited now.

8. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Edit: damn slow computer....double post again. sorry

9. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

OK. Last night I went home and hooked it all up, (I had to use analogue cables)and I was able to record the audio from the sat. and also some bonus DVD-A tracks onto a mini-disc. and when I put the mini-disc into my Net-MD Walkman it played perfectly. However when I connected it to my laptop using Sony's software. It kept giving me an error when I tried to import the tracks (could not be completed). Now I don't understand why. the tracks were recorded in Atrac format and should be fine with the Sony software ("Sony Open MG" I believe). Now I don't know what to do. But I know I can record from the analogue outputs. now its a matter of getting it to my laptop. any ideas?

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Sorry Jean, but I am out of bullets on this one...don't know anything about ATRAC files, or how to copy to a computer.

I guess I am surprised that you had to go analog....I would have expected that setting your Sat box to PCM would have worked fine as an input to your MD machine.

IIRC, Phil Hamm who posts here frequenctly is a MD guy. Assuming I am not confusing him with someone else, maybe he can help out with the PC issues.

BGL

11. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Im probably going to try to find annother way to record using the analogue outputs. I just have to start brainstorming on ways to do it without spending more money. At least I can get what I want on recordable media (MD) for now.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jean,

SCMS, the digital copy protection your MD deck uses, is set up to allow ONE and only ONE copy then STOP copying beyond that single copy. That's probably what you're running into but I can't be sure. I think the only way you'll be able to go is use your NetMD walkman's LINE OUT and an analog cable from the NetMD walkman to the computer and record. Lots of D/A conversion, but it should sound fine on MP3 for listening in th car.

13. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Phillip, my md walkman has an optical input for recording, but its not your typical optical connection. and I didnt get a special cable with it, so maybe if I found the right cable, I could use that. its always annother option too. The Deck I recorded onto is a really old model from 1998, so I dont think it had protection, but I could be wrong. my sony software allows up to 3 copies. but I cant even get one to the computer. very strange.

14. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

PCM audio on a DVD will be 48K sample rate, not 44.1K. If the CD recorder can't convert 48K to 44.1K, then that would explain why it refused to record.

The PCM audio on satellite is likely to be 48K also.

And I wouldn't be surprised to find that DVD players and satellite boxes are abusing the SCMS system by setting the flags so that you can't even make a single copy that SCMS is supposed to let you do.

15. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

It actually requires an adapter for a regular optical cable. About 1 1/2 inches long and looks like a small funnel. Might see if you have one somewhere in your packaging for your MD player, as it should have come with it.

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

On my Samsung SIR-T151 you get 48K 16 bit stereo. My MiniDisc recorder (a deck) loves it and records digitally with no problems at all.

17. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

That appears to be the case with my gear as well (HDTivo, and Pio 509 CDR).

Which is why I was surprised Jean was unable to go digital, although maybe its the lack of adapter mentioned?

BGL

18. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Well, I have a Net MD Walkman that needs the adaptor, so I couldnt use that. I also have an older MD set top player, which takes Optical without an adaptor. it was on this machine that the optical didnt work, even when the sat and dvd player were set to pcm. I had to go analogue all the way. Im hoping that my Net MD Walkman will be able to record no problem.
    Phillip, I would really appreciate it if you were able to send me one of those adaptors you may have extras of. Sent you an email. [​IMG]