What's new

Help with recording.. Do I need to format a CD-R? (1 Viewer)

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently got a Plextor drive.. and am not sure exactly what to do. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator & Plextor software.. I know that with the Plextor software you can format the cd. Am I supposed to? I bought formatted disks..

I am using CD-Rs and want to record some of my favorite songs from other cds.. I understand that I load the cds in their respective drives and drag & drop the song(s) to be recorded..

Will it ask me to finalize after each song or at the end?

Do you have any other tips?

Thanks

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing.. Will the Easy CD Creator get disk information from CDDB? I'm not seeing it...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You only have to format CD-RW disc, not CD-Rs.

You should make sure you close the session after all the songs have been recorded onto the CD-R (else your CD player might have problems reading it).

I've never worried about the CDDB, so I have no idea.

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Patrick..
I need more help. The Plextor MVP2000 seems to be the default cd player. First.. I don't want it to be and second when I try and preveiw a song in the Easy Creator window I get no sound. The little cd controls open up and the thing looks like it is playing but no sound. Same thing happens when I try to use Microsoft CD Player Ver.5
How can I fix this?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It would be helpful if we knew which operating system you are using.

I didn't realize you could have a CD drive be the default drive, but depending on how the CD drive properties are set up in the Control Panel's Device Manager, you may be able to turn off the "auto-run upon insertion" feature for the CD drive.

Is the main Windows system volume level all the way up, or down to zero? Either check the tray in the bar on the bottom, or look in the Control Panel for the sound applet.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Another possibility is that you don't have the audio lead connected from that drive to your soundcard. The current version of Media Player defaults to doing a digital extraction of the sound, as does Winamp and (if memory serves) Nero. It sounds like your problem is that EzCD is using the analogue playback, and your analogue connection is not in place.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had considered that possibility, but I thought Tom was trying to play a track that was already on his hard drive.

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again!
The analog cable wasn't connected..
I'm still getting familiar with this new PC I built about 6 weeks ago.. and in trying to work out some kinks I disconnect some hardware and forgot to re-attach the cable. Such a newbie:b
Stay tuned for more questons ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks