Help with Receiver with no Sub Out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Curt Gilker, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

I have an older Pioneer receiver with no sub out. To use a sub, I think I connect the line level outs from the receiver to the (powered) sub, then the line level outs from the sub to my L/R speakers. Is this right?

If this is correct, can I still use the volume control on my receiver, or is volume now controlled at the sub?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III

correct.

The volume for your speakers and sub will be controlled by by the master volume control on the receiver.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are talking about running wire to the sub, then to the mains, then yes, that would be correct. Line level would be pre-amp analog (RCA), not wire (speaker level).

4. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

Depends what kind of receiver you have. I have a Pioneer VSX-305 pro-logic receiver with no subwoofer output. It has no pre-out/pre-in loop like the old Harman Kardon receivers or typical stereo receivers, so I send speaker wire from the left and right channels all the way to my VTF-2's speaker-level inputs and then send speaker wire to back to the left and right speakers, NHT SuperOnes. The subwoofer has a first-order high pass crossover at 90 Hz, so the SuperOne's don't have to handle any bass. It works fine for now, until I acquire a dolby digital receiver to replace it.

peace, and happy listening

5. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't you just use any analog out?

For instance, most people dont have a tape player anymore, but most older recievers have an in and an out. Because it's tape, the out is always on, so you can use L/R rca's from the tape out to the L/R inputs on the sub and control volume from the sub. (This is assuming you want pre-amp out to the sub) If you use any pre-amp out, you have to control the volume of the sub at the sub, unless it's LFE, where we wouldnt be talking about this at all. (I think)

Maybe I don't understand the question.

6. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hiya Curt,
    Does the sub have high level (speakerwire) inputs? If so, follow John's advice.
    Walt, the problem with the tape output is that it is a fixed volume level and not governed by the volume control on the receiver. It would work but be a pain to keep adjusting the sub.