Help with receiver / speaker options!!!! (4ohm)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tom Collins, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Tom Collins

Tom Collins Extra

I have posted a few questions here already and have gotten some pretty good feedback and opinions. Most of the people here seem to be unbiased and very knowledgeable.

So, here is my dilema. I am trying to upgrade my speakers (Polk Audio RM6600). Would like something awesome for both Home Theater and Music. Would like to move up to floor standing fronts and di-pole rears. And, Yes, and SVS Sub.

Currently leaning towards axiom. Mainly for one reason.

Running system with a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. Manual says that I can adjust to 6ohm.

Question is, would it be a serious problem running 4ohm speakers???

Reason I ask, is because for about the same price, I could get Swan Diva's or the Onix Rockets.
    Diva's di-poles are 4ohms and the Rocket center is 4ohms.

Ideas, Help, and Opinions would be greatly Appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Running one or two 4 Ohm speakers will not be a problem.

3. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

With your receiver you should have no problem handling the 4 ohm load. I have heard the 80's from Axiom are incredible for the price.

Greg

4. Tom Collins

Tom Collins Extra

Ok then, if I can run 4ohm speakers with my receiver without any problems, which system would you guys recommend for a room that is about 22'x15'x8' and powered by my elite receiver. Used for about 70% movies and 30% music. Looking for the cleanest sound.

Axiom: M60ti(fronts) VP150(center) QS8(surrounds)
    Swan: 5.2BC(fronts) C3BC(center) R3BC(surrounds)
    6.1BC(fronts) C3BC(center) R3BC(surrounds)
    Rocket: RS550(fronts) RSC100(center) RSS300(surrounds)

SVS: 25-31PC+ or 20-39pci

Also, I've heard of other peoples receivers shutting down running 4ohm loads. Haven't heard about it from pioneer, just wondering if this could be a problem.

5. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

If you went with the Axiom setup you would be at 8 and 6 Ohm's so I dont think the receiver would be an issue. As far as I know only the M80ti's are 4 ohm from axiom. I have heard great things about the Axiom but the Swans seem to be quite a value for the money. I think you would be pleased with any of these. I am not sure of the impendence of the Swans or Rockets but if you are still concerned, go with the axioms.

Actually just did a quick look on the speakers you mentioned and I did not see where any of them were 4 Ohm. I may have missed something but they all look to be 6 or 8 ohm.
    Greg

6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins Extra

Well, my wife has kind of changed the plans just a little. She wants real wood (Rosewood), so that narrows the field to the Swans and Rockets.

Any preferences or opinions between the two???

Actually considering this package from onix rocket:
    RS750(fronts) RSC200(center) RSS300(surrounds)

Would I still need a separate subwoofer (SVS)???