Help with Receiver Purchase

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JeffPh, May 21, 2005.

1. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

I'm looking to get a new receiver this weekend, and would like some help choosing.

Background:
    I currently have a Kenwood VR-6070. It's certainly not high end, but it does what I ask of it. The reason I'm replacing it is I'm having problems with the power/standby. Everytime we have any sort of power outage, The receiver completely powers off. I can't turn it on via the power button. Usually going through the "resest" process eventually works, but sometimes even that takes many tries. Since this involves me moving my massive entertainment system (and occasionally pulling back muscles), I've decided I have a lemon and need to get a new one.

Specs:
    I'm not an audiophile by any stretch. I like quality components, but I also have my limits in price. I currently only have 5.1 and don't see an upgrade in the near future. I'd like to get it from Best Buy so I can use my trusty no interest card, so that limits my choice in manufacturers a bit. Obviously, with my bad Kenwood experience, I'd liek to avoid them. My price range is probably in the $300-$400 range, but I will go higher if someone makes a good case why I should.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm a long way from an expert on the subject, so feel free to elaborate on your suggestion. I barely know what features my current one has, so if there are new features I need to look for, clue me in.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

Well based on some of the comments on other threads, I decided to look at the Pioneer 1014.

I found one at Best Buy clearanced out and they gave me an open box price of $280. Below what I had planned on spending, so I'm pleased. Hopefully it treats me better than that dang Kenwood.

3. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Use the extra money saved and spend it on a decent surge protector. If you have that many power outages you may damage the Pioneer as well.

4. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

I have a decent one (I think). It was over $100 when I bought it a few years ago. And if I remember correctly, it was one that was recommended here.

Thanks for the tip though.