What's new

Help with receiver please! (1 Viewer)

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone, I have a Sony AV receiver that I got with an all-in-one package about 2 years ago. I can't seem to find the model number right now, but it was Best Buys standard all in one $300 system. The receiver has Dolby Digital and DTS capabilites. The problem I DID have was that when I was watching a movie, if the audio suddenly shot up, (especially in a scary movie where you go from no sound to screaming instantly) the message "PROTECT" would flash on the receiver and then I would have to shut it off and then turn it back on. I thought for a while that it was supposed to do that, maybe I just had the volume up too high. Then I read in the manual that "PROTECT" means there is a short in the receiver somewhere. So I checked all of my connections and even put new speaker wire on, and made sure everything was plugged up right. Well, it seams that now I haven't had that problem, but now when I watch a movie (it seems to only happen when using 5.1 or DTS) every so often the audio seems to skip, or maybe a better term would be to pause for a split second. Like I said, it only seems to happen when using DD or DTS audio. Is there something I'm missing?? Does the "Protect" signal throw up red flags to anyone, like "Andy, its time to buy a new receiver!"?? Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks,

Andy Stocker

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Drop the sony! NO GOOD. Have a look on ebay, get something like a pioneer vsx-d811. or if you want to spend some extra money, get an elite receiver. they are sweet. There is a short in your receiver somewhere, causing the protect circuit to activate.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Andy, also make sure the copper on the speaker wire that is pushed into the terminals is not touching and just as important, use 8 ohms speakers. Sonys are picky, if you use 4 ohms, it will go into protect, especially at high listening levels. You could go with a high current receiver, or better yet a 7 channel amp like an Adcom, ATI, or Outlaw, matched with a pre-pro. You could possibly use the Sony for a lower powered system in another room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks