Help with Rear Projection TV selection

Discussion in 'Displays' started by oharag, Apr 19, 2004.

1. oharag

oharag Extra

Hi everyone. I was hoping you could narrow down my search for a rear projection HD-Reay Widescreen TV. Here's what I'm looking for:

- at most 50 inches (looking for a 46" or 47").
    - rear projection
    - decent amount of inputs
    - HDTV Ready (I'll get my decoding from a settop box or satellite)

That's it. I want to keep the price around $1,500. I would also like to purchase from a chain store (ie. BestBuys or CircuitCity). They usually have reasonible prices with excellent credit terms (2 years no interest, free delivery).

Could you recommend a set that meets the above criteria? I saw a Sony (KP-46WT500) and ToshibaT (46H83) TVs that seemed to meet the above. I'm not sold on these two TV's. They came up on CNET Reviews. Any recommendations with Web reviews will be greatly appreciated.

Also, could someone please explain which type of HD input is desireable today? Isn't there an input that will accept future HD devices (I thought it was going to be firewire or i-Link per Sony)? I know of component level inputs and S-Video inputs. What is this DVI input I saw for one TV set? Going on Pricescan.com you can search for DVI or DVI-HDCP inputs. What's the difference between the two?

Thanks,
    oharag

PS Please keep your recommendations to rear projection TV's only. I can not afford LCD, OLED, Plasma, et al... Also keep the price range in mind. I like the 46-47 inch range. Easier to move, and large enough to be bigger than my 31" tube TV.

2. oharag

oharag Extra

Oh, also what is HDMI??? How does this affect me?

oharag

3. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

well i bought a 42" widescreen HDTV from Samsung. bought it from best buy about a year ago for 1300 i think, probably less now. I am very happy with this tv. Its my first projection and the picture quality was several times better than I had thought it would be. Samsung probably has larger models. Mine has plenty of inputs.

Johnny

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i have a 53" panny rptv. its wonderful! they have a 47 also. has dvi/hdcp, 2 component, 4 s vid (1 on front). the picture out of the box was very good, and with tweaking, it is excellent. worth a good, hard look.

ag.

5. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the Panasonic PT-53wxd63. CC has it for about $1800. It has a 53" screen, buit-in hdtv tuner, cablecard, HDMI, SD. This is a great tv. I have had mine since the first part of Feb. The HD pic will knock your socks off. They also make a 47" model that is cheaper if price is an issue. CableCards should be available soon (July 1,2004 per FCC). (they do away with the need for a stb) Here is a tread for cablecards. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=cablecard

6. oharag

oharag Extra

Harold Southard,

Cripers, there always something new added in there to make the decision that much harder [​IMG]

I have not heard of this cablecard deal. What other TVs offer this feature (besides the Panny you just mentioned)?

Okay if everyone had a choice between the following, which would you buy (all on Circuitcity - you get a gift card plus financing I believe)?

Sony 51" KP51WS510 $1,699.99
    Pan 53" PT53WX53 $1,699.99
    Pan 53" with tuner PT53WXD63 $1849.99 (I think it also has a $250 rebate card - making it cheaper than the Panny listed above).

Here's what I've heard/read so far:
    - The Panny's can not display 780i [sic], but neither can the Sony.
    - The Sony offers 480p as well as 960i (1080i native).
    - The Panny offers????

Here's a couple of questions/observations:
    - This cablecard looks cool. I hate to have a settop box.
    - Does it pay to have a built in tuner if all it can decode is terresteral signals?
    - What are the most important display options? I realize 480P is good for DVD's, and 1080i is standard. What about all the other options (this is confusing!!!!)?
    - Are there any limitations in the above selections? Ie. line doubler, upconversation process, etc....
    - Is a DVI input that necessary? Is this only for HD DVD coming down the line? Are any other components going to connect to this input? I believe 480p will suffice for me using a progressive scan DVD player.
    - I have a PS2. Does this ouptut in HD signal?

I expect:
    - To receive most of my HD content from either cable or sat.
    - I want to use the TV to play DVD's, and using 480P is fine for me.

While we are the subject can anyone recommend a cheap (under $100) progressive scan DVD player? I would like one that can play SVCD. I hear the only one that does is Apex. Is this true?

Here's my thoughts so far:
    - The Sony is on wheels which may make it move easier (on rugs????).
    - The Sony is lighter than the Panny (though the Panny is 2" longer on the diagonal).
    - The Panny gives my 2" more display.
    - Both have DVI input.
    - The Panny with the tuner after rebates is cheaper that the Panny without a tuner (so go with the tuner????).

Are there any other gotchas or considerations that I should make before purchasing one of the above?

oharag

7. ClaudioCavalli

ClaudioCavalli Auditioning

Hi,
    sorry to highjack the thread but I am also looking to buy a new rear projection television. I was in a WalMart and I saw a couple of models:

RCA D52W19 for $1392 and
    Panasonic PT47WXC43 for $1184

Reading the forum here and there I might be tempted to go for a Panasonic PT53WXD63 instead or maybe joing Costco and buy a PT47WX54 there.
    However I have a couple of additional questions. How do rear projection tvs fare in a bright room? The TV would sit in my family room and it is bright (the light would come at 90% from the line of sight to the TV). Should I get any extended warranty on the TV?

Best Regards
    Claudio Cavalli

8. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    oharag,

I'll do my best to address as many of your questions as I can...

The only other thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned are stretch modes for watching 4:3 material on the 16:9 screen. Be sure to fiddle with the various options in the store before you decide which set to go with. One of the reasons I chose the Sony was because of it's stretch modes. I was able to very quickly get used to watching stretched 4:3 material and now I watch virtually everything in Sony's "Wide Zoom" mode.

Best of luck with your purchase. Have fun while you're at it, too!

-Jason

9. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

i can only comment on the sony kp51ws510 as i've had it for about 2months. i think it's got a great picture. basic cable looks surprisingly good i think and dvds are great. haven't had a chance to view in hd material at home. only have basic cable.

10. Harold Southard

The Panasonic converts 720p to 1080i. Not sure what other sets have cablecard.

Claudio,
    Do yourself a favor, stay away from the RCA's. I looked into them myself before getting the Panasonic. Have a look here and see what I mean. http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...t=&Board=UBB54

The hd tuner "may" allow you to get HD programing from your cable. That is if they "pass it through". I do pick up some of my cable co's digital channels. Mostly the music channels. I am waiting to see what the adding of the cablecard to it will do.[​IMG]

11. oharag

oharag Extra

WOW, thanks Jason Charlton for the excellent response. Thanks Harold Southard for the info on the Panny. So it seems I'm at least covered for both sets if I receive a 720P signal. I guess I'll go and check out both sets at CC. Harold Southard any thoughts on the stretch modes for the Panny?

I'll try to have fun Jason :) I've been away from this forum for a couple of years. I tried to keep up with all the advancements 2 years ago. Today I'm totally clueless. I do see the advantage of getting a HD 16X9 set. Just want to make sure I try to consider everything :)

oharag

12. Harold Southard

The mode I use to watch 4 x 3 cable is called "Just". I think it looks good. I have heard people say you have to get use to it, I found it real easy to get use to. I like it, it just seems right somehow, lol (all programing should be 16x9). The zoom mode is great for letter boxed stuff on cable, like Stargate SGI. It makes it full 16x9, like the dvds. Rember, you can't judge the tv's on the show room floor. They are never set up right. Get AVIA or something asap and set yours up the day you get it. I could not find AVIA at any local stores but did find Sound & Vision (made by Ovation, which is the same that make AVIA). It did a great job. I found it at BB.

13. ClaudioCavalli

ClaudioCavalli Auditioning

OK,
    so after a little more searching I narrowed (or is that enlarged) my search to the following
    TV models at the prices shown (best local prices):

Mitrubishi WS-55313$1799
    Toshiba 57H83$1999
    Toshiba 51H83$1799
    Panasonic PT-56WX53$1529
    Panasonic PT-53WX53$1599

These are the questions I have:

How do the three brands compare to each other? Is there a web site that will allow me to do a more in depth comparison on problems and faults with these brands?
    Is there a document that would allow me to figure out what I should be looking for in selecting a TV (such as specifically what features are must-haves and what features are nice-to-have?)
    Do you guys buy from local stores (such as Best Buy and Circuit City) or over the internet? I was thiking of going to a local store, but I am open to suggestions.

Best Regards
    Claudio Cavalli