What's new

Help with Radio Shack Analog Sound Meter (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
I need help in setting the parameters of my Radio Shack Model 33-3050 Sound Level Meter.

When setting up a Radio Shack analog sound meter:

A. What is the proper range setting?
B. Should be "weighing" switch be set to "A" or "B"?
C. Should the "response" switch be set to "Slow" or "Fast"?

In case you need this information: My speakers are Infinity

Thanks,
LP

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
C weighting, slow response.

The range depends on how loud you're playing the test tones. Typically it should be set on the 70 or 80 setting. And then you read the value by where the needle falls. 70 + 2 = 72, 80 - 4 = 76, etc.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Mr. Brown,

One more question.

Harman Kardon suggests -15 as the base sound level when using their SPL sound utility.

While I prefer higher sound levels my wife is on the other end of the volume spectrum. So now, when using the RS analog sound meter what base sound level(s) will result in low to mid range volume that is clear and detailed yet when increased still provides a powerful punch.

By the way I took a look at your setup and I'm quite impressed.

Thanks again.

Robert Fellows

Stunt Coordinator
Setting the levels at any output should work, while setting it at the level you are going to listen at, is the most accurate.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I do agree with the -15 dB as a good starting point. :) That's the default level I start with when watching any movie. Then I adjust from there depending on how the movie's been mastered. But, also depends on how big your room is, how efficient your speakers are, your personal tastes in terms of volume listening to movies, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks