help with purchasing sony tv

Discussion in 'Displays' started by benjaminBen, May 25, 2006.

1. benjaminBen

benjaminBen Stunt Coordinator

Need some help wanting to buy a sony TV (i have a friend who is a wholesaler).
    I play ALOT of video games and watch sports,
    open to both DLP and LCD,
    must be 47" or bigger
    1080p
    HDMI imputs
    pretty open to price (not $10,000)
    Please include model number (that is what he needs)
    thanks

2. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

Sony mainly does LCD so that would limit you to a rear projection LCD unit. Are you getting a huge discount off of one? I assume thats why your sticking with Sony?

3. benjaminBen

benjaminBen Stunt Coordinator

yes i am getting a huge discount and that is why...

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Over 47" your talking about a rear-projection set from Sony.

Sony uses 2 different technologies on their rptvs since they quit making crt based sets, lcd and lcos--which Sony calls sxrd. The sxrd models are the best, among the best rptvs available, but are pricey.

Currently there are 2 sxrd models, the KDSR50XBR1 and KDSR60XBR1, 50" and 60" respectively. Both are 1080p displays, both have 2 hdmi inputs, neither will accept 1080p, both do an excellent job of scaling incoming 1080i to 1080p for display. Current msrps are $3500 for the 50" and $4500 for the 60", but both are being heavily discounted most places as they will be replaced later this summer by newer models which will accept 1080p and will carry lower msrps.

There are two lines of lcd based sets, the A-10 series which comes in 42 and 50 inch sizes and the A-20 series in 55 and 60 inch sizes. The A-10 is the superior set, having a variable iris to help black levels and superior handling of incoming 1080i sources. I'd recommend the KDF-E50A10--it's quite a bit cheaper than the sxrd models, dead reliable, and has excellent picture quality. It is a 720p display, but at a 50" screen size you will not be able to tell the difference between it and a 1080i display at a normal viewing distance. These also are being heavily discounted as they too will be replaced soon by a new line of Sony lcd based sets. The new sets will be essentially similar to the current A-10 line but will have 2 HDMI inputs instead of 1, and will come in 46, 50, and 55 inch screen sizes.