What's new

Help with purchasing a DirecTV system (1 Viewer)

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
I have made the decision to change from "digital" cable to DirecTV and need some help putting a package together.

After researching, the Blockbuster deal for $29.99 looks pretty good. Dish and Hughes receiver (basic receiver I assume), installation, 1 year of BB rentals, and 1 month free programming (31.95 value). I am also thinking about purchasing the RCA DRD485RG which has Component Video and optical/coaxial digital outputs which I can get for $100. I recently purchased a Toshiba 50H81 RPTV, so I would like to have this receiver in the main room, and use the other in the bedroom. I am also going to request the Para Todos package, so I can get the 18x24 dish (for upgrading to HDTV).

My questions are, will I have the correct equipment to do a 2 room install? If I have the RCA DRD485RG installed in the main room (if the installer will do this), how hard would it be for me to install the other receiver in the bedroom - does the installation consist only of running a coaxial cable from the dish to the receiver, or is there more to it? I may just ask the installer to connect both (I am in a small apartment, so he's not going to have to run much line for the one install).

Does this sound like a configuration that will work. I am open to any ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you go with the 18x24 dish, you will get a 4x4 multi-switch. You can run up to four tuners off of it.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions.
Get a PVR receiver like DirecTivo or Ultimate TV. They really change the way you watch TV.

-Robert

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto on the DirecTivo.

Head to tivocommunity.com and check that out.

DTivos are tough to get, but as a new subscriber you'll be able to snare one.

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
I had been looking at the TiVo's also, but my wife is not wanting to spend an additional $13 a month on top of $60 (Total Choice, HBO, Starz, and second receiver) plus the NFL package ($180). So, unfortunately it looks like I am going to stick with a non-PVR receiver.

Another question, I also subscribe to AT&T cable internet. I've been told that if I cancel my cable and just keep the internet service, that I will still receive a cable signal (AT&T has no way of shutting it off while providing the internet service). I find this hard to believe, but has anyone else heard of this?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been told that if I cancel my cable and just keep the internet service, that I will still receive a cable signal
Most places can't put a blocker on you cable and just stop the channels. It will also stop the internet service. I've got Time Warner and pay an extra $12 a month for basic cable. If I drop basic, they will charge me an extra $10 for not having basic so it was an easy decision.

-Robert

I just got back form BB tonight. I signed up for the 1 room $29.99 deal. They are comming Thursday to install. Looked like a great deal to me. Getting a $31.99 credit from Direct TV and free movie rentals from BB. I know the dish is the dual LNB, so all I'll have to get is a digital box. I don't think the Boss (wife) is gonna let me get DirectTivo yet... :wink:

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know where I could snag a DirecTivo box for around $100 (with optical or coax and S-Video outputs)?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you are a new customer, you should be able to get some type of deal. The supply of DirecTivos is drying up while the factory switches production over to the DirecTivo II. Orbit Sat and Minidishes.TV are two of the popular places to order from. Try the Tivo Community for others. If you can't find a Tivo, the Ultimate TV is another option. You still get digital recording and about 90% of the functionality of a Tivo (in my opinion).
They all have S-video and optical digital out.
-Robert

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

You mention the DirecTivo II. When is this due out (I haven't seen/heard of it before)? What affects will it have on current Tivo users (compatibility, capabilities, etc.)?

Eduardo

Agent
How about the Dish network? i am currently looking into getting the dish network for 3 rooms including 3 receivers for $47.00/Mo with $50.00 set up charge. This promotion also gives you free installation and 3 months free. You can also upgrade one of the receivers to the PVR 501 for a 1 time charge of $150. Does this sound like a good deal?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The PVR501 is just a digital recorder with search capability. It records based on time and channel. If a show moves time slots, you have to set it up again. For example, my DirecTivo recorded all five episodes of last nights "Scrubs-a-thon" without me doing anything. The PVR501 would have only recorded the third showing since that was the regular time slot.
For a lot of personal reviews/problems check out the PVR section at DBS Forums.
-Robert

Eduardo

Agent
What if I don't go with the PVR. Is the deal for 3 rooms w/ 3 receivers any good? Can I buy any DD receiver and use it with the Dish network? sorry about the dumb questions but I am new to the satellite arena.

If you had a choice would you go with Direct or Dish?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can I buy any DD receiver and use it with the Dish network?
Are you talking about A/V receiver and not satellite receiver? If so, yes. The only Dish satellite receivers that have DD out are the PVR501 and HD 6000. The new PVR721 has it but they are new and in VERY limited supply. You can find an older model 4900 that has DD out.

As for being a good deal, it's more of a personal decision. It comes with basic receivers (probably the 301 or older 3900). They are reliable. I jusst like bells and whistles on my receivers.

I started off with D* in '96, switched to E* in '99 and switched back to D* 18 months later because of the Dishplayer and all of it's bugs. I'm EXTREMELY happy with my DirecTivo and D*'s service. I'll be adding a D* HD receiver in the fall.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks