What's new

Help with Projector in an awkward space. (1 Viewer)

S

seanemac1

Hi,
I'm glad I found this forum and in advance I appreciate any and all responses.
Here is my scenario,
I live in a condo in new york city and have a somewhat awkward layout. My living area is 18' x 18' on one end and 18' x 12' on the other end. there is also a column that interferes with roughly the right 3' feet of the narrow end, which is where the screen would go. Because of access from the kitchen to the left and my bedroom door behind behind the seating area, my primary viewing area is ~ 12' from where the screen would be, but I'd like people to be able to watch from as close as 8' if possible. Both the "wall" where the screen would go and the "wall" to the right are floor to ceiling windows, so I'm going to have blackout shades installed. I currently have a 43" plasma where I would put the projector screen, but it is a bit small and it also blocks spectacular views of Manhattan. I'd like to put a low day bed there, and have the projector screen hang above it when down, and then be able to look out the window unobstructed when I'm not watching TV. I primarily watch HD movies and sports.
There is a cable hookup and power on the back wall and I can easily have the building manager reposition those to the top of the wall.
I'm trying to find a projector with a throw that allows me to keep the projector as close to the back wall and as close to the ceiling as possible. I'm also looking for a small form factor if at all possible. The ceilings are concrete, so I can't hide the cable in the ceiling and would like to minimize how much exposed cable is running along the ceiling.
I hope to stay in the $1k range for a projector, but I can spend more if need be. My preference is to have a ceiling mounted screen, but I'm open to something coming up from the floor. Because of the layout, I'd prefer a screen that is around 68" wide.
Appreciate the support and have a great easter.

S

seanemac1

thanks for the prompt reply, i actually already have a tv that i love. logistically a tv isn't a viable long term solution, for the reasons i mentioned in my post.
have a great Holiday, Sean

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Sean. Sounds like a fantastic view. Projectors don't have tuners so you will still need a cable box and a BD/DVD player. That will mean running power, HDMI and probably a 12v trigger to lower the screen when the PJ is turned on, so I wouldn't worry about moving the cable jack. I'm having a hard time visualizing where you plan on locating the PJ in relationship to your screen. How far back from the screen does it need to go and about how tall is your ceiling? Thanks for the Easter wishes. Same to you!

S

seanemac1

Hi Adam,
If you're inclined, the following link is the floor plan of my unit. In the upper right hand corner you'll see a column, I'd like to put the screen to the left of that column and the projector as close to the far wall as possible. The ceilings are 9' high. The back of my sofa is about 12' from the wall where I'd want to put the PJ. I'm also wondering if I can use a white or light gray blackout roller shade as my screen, so I don't have to double up by having both a shade and a screen?
Appreciate the help, Sean
http://img.streeteasy.com//nyc/attachment/show/1098844-the-edge-south-tower.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks