Help with program to auto start cd-rom

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_E, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

I have an AVI (one file only) on a CD which I would like to have start playing after insertion into the drive. I did a google search but I'm just not sure what I'm looking for.
    All I need is something that will put a graphic on screen which says PLAY and after pressing graphic the AVI will play.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    -Gary

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

check out the autorun.inf file on any commercial CD. You should just be able to plugin your file name

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

like jeff said, shouldn't the auto-run featue do the trick?

also, i think in xp, you can tell it to always do a certain action when you insert a specific type of media. open media player when it detects .avi or .wav files, etc.

4. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

I've been fooling around with an autorun program and I can get the interface to come up when I insert the disc however I can't seem to get the button to engage Windows Media Player and have the AVI begin to play.

Yes, in XP when I insert the disc, I get prompted as to what action to take but I want to give the disc to some that may not have XP.

Seems simple to me, put dics in drive, button appears push to play but can't seem to get it to go full cycle. Thanks for your replies anyway guys.

-Gary

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I don't know autorun scripting, but I think you can include some sort of "play=true" statement

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

another shot in the dark, but here goes.

i don't have any install cd's in front of me, but if you have one check out the autorun file.

i think it somehow references the "setup.exe" files. so that way the install cd automatically runs the setup program.

you may be able to modify that in some way to point to your .avi file???

7. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Guys,
    Sorry to resurrect this post again but I'm stuck with this project I'm working on.
    I'm using a program called starterfile.exe which gets placed in the root directory of the CD I'm burning. This program seeks out the default player on the PC and uses that program to view the file in question.
    The structure of the CD is as follows:
    [autorun]
    open=starterfile.exe filename.mpeg
    filename.mpg
    starterfile.exe
    The problem I'm having is the intial time I try to run the CD from any PC other than the one the CD was created on, I get a message saying 'cannot locate starterfile.exe on C:'.
    When the message 'cannot locate starterfile.exe on C:' appears there's a dialog box which can be manually directed to the CDRom drive and permits selection of the starterfile.exe program. After doing this procedure once, the disc will always autorun on that PC.
    The PC appears to default seeking for starterfile.exe on C drive even though it is burned onto the CD itself. Is there a way to alter the autorun to direct starterfile.exe to run from the CD upon insertion without the user having to redirect the drive?
    I'm sorry I can't be more clear but I really don't know what I'm talking about. [​IMG]
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    -Gary

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...
    i'm wondering if you can do a full path to the starterfile?
    something like:
    open=d:starterfile.exe filename.mpeg
    the only problem is not everyone has their cd-rom drive mapped as that specific letter. as a matter of fact, that's probably why the pc is doing that the initial time it loads.
    sorry bro...i can't think of what to do.
    so, just modifying the autorun file by itself didn't work huh?

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Gary, your autorun.inf file should look like this:

[autorun]

And that's it. You don't need those other two lines! At least, it looks like you have two other lines in your file in your post.
    Also, did you mispell filename.mpeg? You called it filename.mpg on the next line!
    This MSDN article has more information: Creating an AutoRun-enabled CD-ROM Application .

10. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Ted,
    I thought about tagging the CDRom drive with a letter but as you say a PC can have it's CDRom drive designated with different letters,
    Max,
    My autorun.inf file is what you listed.
    [autorun]
    The lines I listed are in the root directory of the CD when I burn it. When starterfile.exe does work, it activates whether I use .mpg or .mpeg.
    The snag I'm having has to do with playing the CD in a virgin PC. Once you re-direct the drive the first time, it will play each time you insert it into THAT PC.
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to keep trying.
    -Gary

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

12. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Max,

I've tried it on 98, 98se, 2000 and ME. These PCs have all used CDRoms for many installations without problems.
    I've got to be missing something but damned if I know what!

I'm thinking I may need to first have the CD install the starterfile.exe program on the recipient's hard drive and then activate itself.

I think I need another drink!

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Gary

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Try making a new program, say, a "Hello World" type program, and put that on the CD and point autorun.inf to it? See if that causes the same problem. I just want to rule out something wrong with the starterfile.exe program.