Help with pre/pro setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_Mikhail, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

I have a HK520 and a PA4000 4-channel amp (on the way). For now I will stick with a 5.1 setup. Should I use the amp to run the center and mains. Also should I biamp the mains back through the receivers internal amps?

I believe the 520 has two separate internal amps (one for the mains and center/one for surrounds).

2. Joseph_Mikhail

BTW I listen to about 90% HT/10% music. Any suggestions?

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I don't know anything about the HK, but I don't beleive you can do what you described. Connecting an external amp via the pre-outs normally disables the receivers amps for that channel. If you want to bi-amp your mains, use the 4 channels available on the new amp, and allow the receiver to handle the rest.

4. Joseph_Mikhail

Jack-

Really? The HK520 has pre-amp outpus and post-amp inputs. I thought that the post-amp inputs were there specifically for bi-amping channels or for reconfiguring the internal amps.

5. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Joseph- If so, pretty impressive and a nice feature to have. In my opinion, this would be ideal if you were connecting a 2 channel amp. Since the amp your going to use is 4 channel, I don't see the point in making the connection you describe. Personally, I would the external amps 4 channels to run my mains.

6. Joseph_Mikhail

So you think the best setup would be to take the pre-amp outs for my mains and bi-amp them using my 4-channel amp. I will try it out.

Thanks.

7. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Joseph- I think were talking about the same thing. I'm assuming the 4 channel amp to be bridged and a single wire out to each speaker.

8. Joseph_Mikhail

Jack-

Yes, it is a bridged amp. But in bridged mode, it has 4 channels x 100 watts. In non-bridged mode, it goes to 8 x 45 watts.

I am thinking that I will run the mains to the Channel 1 & 2 inputs, then take the Ch 1 & 2 post-amp outs and run them to the Channel 3 & 4 inputs. Effectively giving me 2 channels at 200 Watts.