Help with Pre-Historic TV (please)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Jan 17, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've got a Jurassic-era Fisher TV. This would have been 'da bomb' back in the day: 27", stereo, aux A/V input. Even now it does pretty well (and I can't afford to buy a new TV currently).

However, if I use the Video input, there are strong, black, horizontal lines in the picture, slowly moving down the screen. As far as I can tell, this is not caused by electrical noise, and it doesn't occur on the RF/Antenna input.

Anyone know what might cause this? Is it fixable? Or should I just not bother, and wait 'til I can buy a new TV?

Thanks.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

THis is the typical result of a "grounding problem". Try a different cable, a cable defect is the most likely cause. If the video cable shield (one of the two conductors and runs the full length) has broken away from the shell of the RCA plug at one end, you will have a groundig problem.
    Also try reversing the TV set plug in the outlet, if it fits (is not polarized).
    Grounding problems can also be due to bad or broken connections in the TV or the DVD player feeding it, and most likely just inside the input or output jack respectively. You can investigate this on a trial and error basis.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks Allan. I think I've tried it with different cables, so it's likely a problem with the TV connector. I may check that out.
    And I'll definitely try reversing the TV plug. You can't beat a good voodoo fix [​IMG]