Help with power cutoff on Denon 4800

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff_P, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

My Sony DVP-7000 seems to have died on Friday night(2/18/05). The player is not reading any disc that I put in(new, old or rented). I had a Memorex MVD2042 DVD player sitting around that I decided to put on until I get a new dvd player. While I was watching the Village saturday night, during any scene that was loud(when Phoenix walks into the woods, when bell rings, end chase scene) my Denon 4800 would shut off. I have the dvd player hooked up to my receiver with coaxial digital cable and video going to receiver.

I am puzzled cause I never had this problem when the Sony was hooked up. Is this just an issue of using an inexpensive DVD player?

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I have no idea why this might happen but one thing you can try just to see if something about the new DVD player is effecting the recv (like overloading the inputs) is to disconnect the video from the recvr and go directly into the TV and see if that fixes the problem, if not then try analog audio to the TV and pass video thru the recvr and test that. If neither of these fixes the problem you might need to find a different DVD player to try just to be sure your recvr has not developed a problem. It could also be the recvr is going into protection for some other reason like a strand of speaker wire touching something on the back of the recvr that might have been disturbed while you were connecting the new player???

3. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the hints, Dean.

I will take a look at your ideas and see what I come up with. I have a strange feeling it has something to do with the coaxial digital cable.