What's new

Help with popups? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am using Windows XP and AOL 8.0. Anyways, a few days ago I started getting microsoft internet explorer windows popping up. Some are ads. But, most are links to websites. It is only getting worse. Does anyone know of any shareware programs to stop this? Or is their a setting I could turn on with either XP or AOL?

Thanks!

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Google toolbar is your answer. My home system has >1000 blocks on the toolbar. Just configure the options to remove all the excess junk except the popup blocker.

Toolbar link

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Ad-Aware and Spybot are good for clean up, but for prevention, use FireFox instead of IE.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, first install spy sweeper and see what it finds. Then, install firefox. Ever since I switched 6 months ago, I haven't seen a single unwanted popup.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Kimmo,
Thanks for the info. Just curious what privoxy should I download? I am using windows xp.

Thanks!

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I know microsoft is still evil and this doesnt change that, but since installing service pack 2 I havent had any problems with spyware, popups and unwanted activex controls.

I would recomend using the programs mentioned in this thread to clean your computer of any spyware, then install the service pack 2 update.

I find the popup blocker included to be intuitive and also non intrusive.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Todd, click on the "Download recent releases" link, and there you can scroll down and download the file named privoxy_setup_3_0_3-1.exe - it's near the bottom of the list, under the Win32 heading. Just download that and run it, it's an installer.

Privoxy is a separate program and doesn't integrate itself at all into your browser, it just filters the traffic coming in and removes ads, cookies and stuff. There is documentation on the privoxy site, it's not rocket science, but not quite point and click either...

The roots in the Unix world shows a bit, it's not entirely simple to add exclusions etc to it - but ideally you don't really need to do much, it just runs in the background.

Benson R

Supporting Actor

Well I had such a bad spyware problem that I couldnt cure, that I went the radical route of doing a completly fresh install of winxp and then installed service pack 2 first thing.

I browse a lot of pages I shouldnt, that I know are trying to install all kinds of crap, and I havent had any problems whatsoever for a couple months now.

Now I have stopped myself from installing all kinds of freeware programs (which invariably bring all kinds of unwanted programs with them) so perhaps that might be part of the problem your wife is still having.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks