help with placement of ceiling surrounds...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dan K, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Dan K

Dan K Auditioning

hey everyone,

i'm installing a home theater in a new space that i'm moving into and have a question about the rear surrounds.

i'm going to install a pair of ceiling speakers--sonance symphony 623tr-- for the rears. (not optimal for sound but i want the theater to be discrete since it's also the living room.)

the spot that i am considering for each places them 12 feet apart and about a foot behind the couch and chair. the combined width of the couch and chair is about 10-11 feet. so the speakers would be overhead and a little off to the side and a little behind.

should i have the surrounds further apart? like 16 feet? or do i lose the effect if they are spread too far?

also, should they be above and behind us, like i'm thinking?

i'll probably only get one shot at installing them so i'd like to get it right the first time. thanks for any input and advice!

dan

2. Greg Fullerton

Greg Fullerton Auditioning

Anytime I install in-ceilings, I try to spread them out within reason to make the soundstage larger. Usually receivers have the ability to compensate by adjusting delay times, spread, etc. A lot of the nicer receivers like the mid-upper Denon's and Yamahas have a calibration mic. for an auto-setup function that really makes it easy on you and it makes the adjustments accordingly.

Also, try to make them look as symetrical as possible using the can lights, room size/ shape, etc. as a guide for placement.

3. Dan K

Dan K Auditioning

thanks greg.

if i move them out to 16 feet apart, it would be to line them up with a pair of recessed ceiling lights.

is 16 feet apart okay, or do you think that's pushing it?

the av receiver i'll be using is the marantz 7400.

thanks,

dan

4. KeithY

KeithY Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

My rears are 12ft apart and just behind the viewing area,
    with the incline of the ceiling they aim right at the
    couch. They are also in line with the can lighting.

[​IMG]

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    A lot of the width determination depends on how high the ceiling is. If the ceiling is low – say 8’ – I would think 16ft. will be too wide. The listeners furthest from center will have no chance of ever hearing the far speaker.

As far as “how far back,” personally I prefer the rears to be actually behind, if possible. To me it’s not truly “surround sound” unless you have a fully enveloping soundfield. If the speakers are to the sides (or directly above, in this instance) the placement indicates exactly what you get: Sound to the sides and all out in front. It doesn’t “envelope” because it brick-walls at your seat.

That said, this again will depend on your ceiling height. However, even with a low ceiling it shouldn’t be a problem to have the speakers at least 2 to 2-1/2’ behind the couch. If you have higher ceilings and/or speakers with tweeters that can be aimed, that will buy you a few more feet.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Dan K

Dan K Auditioning

thanks for the responses.

my ceilings are 8 1/2 feet high. i'm going to definitely have the ceiling speakers behind the couch 1-2 feet and i'll keep them 12 feet apart rather than 16 feet.

i may spend the extra to get the sonance surround speakers which are dipoles i think, but for now the plan is to go with the sonance 623tr speakers which are direct radiators.

i appreciate all the input.

-dan-