Help with picking display!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekF, Sep 19, 2002.

1. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

When I built my house, I built in an AV cabinet with access from behind. It works great now, with my 32" Ultravision....but...

I'll need a new TV soon, and I don't know what to do, because the cabinet I built is only 40.5" across, meaning I'm limited to either:

A 36" Wega
    A 43" RPTV

or....

I could put a big screen over the opening, and go with a projector...the problem with this is the room layout though: It's a 10.5' x 14' room adjoining a larger (pool table etc.) area...and the TV is on the 14' side.

Is 10.5' too close for a projector?...thoughts?

(room is like a capital "B". with smaller upper area for HT, lower area pool table)

Thanks!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The max screen size I would recommend for FPTV at a 10ft viewing distance is a 16x9 screen 72" wide or a 4x3 screen 86" in diameter and with a projector that has a resolution of 1024x768 minimum (of which there are many). Even better would be a projector with a native 16x9 resolution like this one...
    [​IMG]
    Boxlight Home Cinema 20HD

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

FPTV newbie here....so that's 72" wide for 16x9, but larger width for 4:3? or did you mean 86" diagonal?

thx!

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

You have to think about the light in your room. Can you darken the room sufficiently for a front projector to work during the daytime?

Also, remember that you'll be buying bulbs in the $200-400 range every 2000 hours or so, so you might not want your kids watching Barney and such all morning and putting a lot of mileage on the bulb. Keeping a smaller direct view set in that spot for "ordinary" watching, and reserving the front projector for DVDs, might be a good idea.

Otherwise, I have to say that I love my 42" widescreen Toshiba. My room is smaller than yours, however, with about an 8' viewing distance. A small RPTV could be a decent compromise.

Jan