Help with picking a new receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bradford_M, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Bradford_M

Bradford_M Auditioning

New to this forum. Lots of great info. I'm replacing my 8 year old Sherwood receiver. I don't do anything fancy, primarily home theater. Looking to stay in the $300-$400 range. The Pioneer 6 channel model gets a lot of recommendations here. Why? What features make it a better value than the other 100 watt/channel, 6.1 receivers out there? (Panasonic, Sherwood, H/K, etc.)
    Not trying to argue or start an argument...[​IMG] ...just trying to get educated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brad

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I have the 811 and really like it...I guess the main feature it offers over say the Panasonic, is perhaps better reliability and the ability to add external amplification for 7.1 etc if ever needed.

If that's not a big deal to you, toss a coin, both should probably serve you well.

Of course if you buy the receiver locally, you can return it if you don't like it and exchange it for the other one you didn't choose.

Alfer

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Bradford,

5. Bradford_M

Bradford_M Auditioning

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm studying the receiver comparision chart as I write this (and beginning to salivate)...[​IMG]
    A friend suggested I take a look at the new(?) Sherwood RD-8108. Didn't know it existed. Nothing on the Sherwood web site. Anybody had experiences with this? Specs I can find at dealer's websites are very similar to Pioneer.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brad

6. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

7. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

The Panasonic SAHE100 does DTS-ES (both Matrix/Discrete), unofficial DD-EX, DTS NEO-6 and DPLII. This reciever can be found from around 250-275 online, but retails for 300. A deal on its bigger brother (SAHE200), which has more features/power/reportedly better build quality, can also be found online.

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I vote for the pioneer, the panny's are nice as well, but if you go for the 100, the build quality is not as good. nice receiver just the same. i would have bought it, but I got a smokin deal on the pioneer...

9. Bradford_M

Bradford_M Auditioning

Thanks guys for the follow-ups. Since no feedback on Sherwood, guess I'll go Pioneer shopping....[​IMG]
    Brad