Help With Picking a Big Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Darren S, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Howdy All,

There's just too many choices out there for me to make any educated choice when there are so many in this forum with that knowledge already. So I was wondering if you guys/gals had to pick from this store's inventory (Linc below)what would you choose. I'm looking for something over 52ish" up to 60ish " screen. The room is approximately 20'x20' and we would be sitting around 15' away from the screen depending on screen depth. I really don't even have any qualms about rear projection that's not LCD or DLP as long as it would give me the 16:9 aspect ratio so the entire screen is filled when watching movies etc. I know they're much cheaper although I don't mind paying some extra $$$ for something that's going to last me for 5yrs +. It would also be nice to have the digital tuner on board for HD or whatever. I'm sure y'all will have a better idea what is the best bang for the buck at this site than I do. I'd like to keep it under $3000 if possible, but if the quality takes me slightly above I'll decide from there.

Leon's

Cheers and thanks for the help,

Darren S

2. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Okay just seeing if this will post under the initial thread, but if phusical size wasn't an issue would y'all be picking up a RP CRT? The pricing is really good now on some pretty large sets? and if so what would your choice be?

Thanks Much,
    Darren

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Convenient yes but not very flexible. The beauty of an HD-ready set (ie. no HD tuner on board) is that you can choose which sat/cable receiver or provider works best for you and can upgrade independent of the other.

So far as your selection is concerned it's pretty hard to miss these days. The hot ticket right now seems to be the new Sony SXRD. Universally glowing reviews. You'll do better with a set like this or newer generation DLP than you will LCD. And if you can swing it 1080p is the way to go with HD DVD around the corner. Plus the extra res will smooth everything out.

Also, don't discount RPTVs based on good 'ol CRT technology. Still the gold standard (although days are getting numbered) and properly calibrated will deliver nightmarishly good images. And they're dirt cheap now. They are not light canons like the DLP and LCoS sets but unless you have a whack of uncontrollable ambient light this should not be an issue.

Finally, I would encourage you to consider a different retailer on this purchase. Buy furniture from a furniture store, electronics from an electronics store. You will in all likelihood be able to get similar or better pricing but with more knowledgable staff (depending on the store, of course) and also the ability to establish a relationship for future purchases. If you're willing to post your city perhaps others in the area could chime in with recommended A/V dealers. If not throw me a PM and maybe I can provide some options.