Help with PE 250w plate,300-734 amp please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I have this amp and want to power my SVS 22-31CS instead of using a spare amp channel on my HK PA5800 amp. I have yet to build a box for it and wondering how important this is to the function of the amp itself. I want to test the amp but unsure on how to hook it up to the SVSs' binding post. Can someone give me some insight how initial hookup please? Do I need additional special cabling?

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

A box adds no functionality to the amp and actually causes the amp to heat up more. I have one amp that just rests in the paper crate it shipped in and it has run fine for months. It also runs significantly cooler than the amp I put in a box.

To hook up the amp to a sub, it's just positive to positive and negative to negative. The PE amp has female disconnects for easy hookup to a bare driver. To connect them to 5-way binding posts I would cut the connectors off and strip some insulation. If the wire isn't long enough, you can solder wire to wire and make an extension for the speaker wire.

3. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks Chris for such a timely response! [​IMG] One more thing, should I take off the plastic sleeves on the pos and neg leads from the amp then use bare wire to the leads themselves or should I go out and find male connectors that would fit?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Remove the wire and strip the insulation.

I used "wire nuts" to add on 15 ft of 12 Ga cable for my application, worked fine.

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Ok, so that'll do it, I'll strip the ends and connect them directly to the binding post of the sub since I think the existing lenght will be long enough. Looking foward to see the difference..thanks everyone.