Help with Partition Magic (to have both XP Pro and W98)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I have had it with XP not running specific W98 applications and hardware!
    I have purchased PM, but which o/s should I install first? I think XP must install to Drive C, but I know W98 can install to any drive. I am reformatting my C drive at the moment
    I have 2 drives on my computer, and have considered installing XP on the C drive and W98 on the D drive and changinf my bios boot order if I wish to change o/s, but I think that new installation of programs will be problematic unless I install the same software to both drives.
    I would prefer to use my C: drive for applications and o/s, and D drive for data and backups of C:
    Suggestions of sequence of installations? (IE: XP/PM/98, 98/PM/XP, etc?)
    HELP!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Not to sure about partion magic, but it is considered safer if you put the older OS on first .... Win98 in this case.
    I'd say you should be able to put XP on and then partition magic, boot to the new partitionthat you create and install Win98. What I'm not sure of is whether XP does anything up to that point.
    OR
    Load XP, partition as you wish, format the new partition, boot with and emergency floppy to your new partition, then run "setup" for Win98
    So many option, WAY to much time to try them out..
    Somebody should have tried this, let's hope they ring in soon[​IMG][​IMG]
    Brent

3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Brent, I have gone and installed W98 on Drive C, and installed XP on the D Drive. The boot sequence asks you to toggle between the operating systems, which makes Partition Magic non-essential (or at least the BootMagic portion).