Help with Paradigm Speaker Purchase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kennedy, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

Hi, all. I've been reading information on this forum for about two months and I've finally got a reason to post a message. Unfortunately, it's a long one.

I recently bought a Denon AVR-3802 from one of the users here and have been quite pleased so far. The problem is that I don't have a good set of speakers. I'm pretty much narrowed it down to buying in the Paradigm Monitor series. Here's my situation:

Long story short is that I was planning on buying Monitor 5's and was going to place them on my shelves on either side of my 36" Sony Wega. Shelves (11" deep) aren't deep enough to provide adequate "port space" behind the Monitor 5's (12-3/8" deep) since they're rear ported. That leads me to my other some other options I'm considering.

Montitor 5's on stands or Monitor 9's -- both on the floor. I could go Monitor 7's as well and just promp them up a little bit. Here's the kicker. I only have 6-7/8" of space for the center channel above my TV. That's just enough space to put Paradigm's CC-170.

Looking at Paradigm's recommended system setups, the CC-170 is only recommended with the Monitor 5's. Does that mean that the CC-170's aren't timbre matched with the Monitor 7's or 9's or can I mix them?

Since I'm willing to spend the money on the Monitor 9's, should I consider the Reference Studio 20's?

This is my first attempt at a home theater system in my life, so anything I buy is going to be a major improvement from what I've experienced in the past. I want to buy equipment that I will use for a long (10+ years) time. Am I going to kick myself in the butt for not making cabinet modifications to fit the larger center channel / larger mains?

I realize I'm asking a lot of subjective questions here, but you guys have a hell of a lot more experience than I do with this subject. I've done searches in this forum and read a lot of what people had to say about Paradigm's, but nothing that really asked the questions I've asked.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Greg

2. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

I'm pressed for time so all I have time to say right now is that if your budget allows then you will not regret moving up to the Studio 20. The reference line is a better speaker than the performance line.

3. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

I agree wiith Barry. Get the studio 20s if you can. IMO, the reference line is leagues above the monitor line.

I still recommend auditioning the 5,7,9s and 20s just to see which one you like. You may prefer the 5s over the 20s. I think someone around here did.

I think you would be able to get the cc370 on top of your TV. It won't be a perfect 'fit,' but it will match your mains.

4. Thang_N.

Thang_N. Stunt Coordinator

I think if you are able to squeeze into the studio series you should do that. You would less likely have buyers remorse or wonder if you should have gotten the studios. I just waited alittle longer to save for my studios. I am like you and plan to keep these speakers for a long time. But if you are happy with the sound of the monitors then go for it.

Also If you possible find someone on the forum to buy it in Canada, it be alittle cheaper. Or just tell your dealer you plan to go to Canada and buy them there, see if he is able to give you a better discount on either the monitor or studio series.

Good luck to you

5. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

Thanks for the insight, guys. I just came back from my local Paradigm dealer and listened to the Monitor 5's and Monitor 9's. Apparently he just sold his last Studio 20's. I'll go back later and listen to the 20s, but for right now I'm leaning toward the 5's. The 9's were great, but I don't think you get that much more for the money.

Greg

6. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Hi Greg:
    One thing to consider: If you go with the 20's, the CC-170 will stand out like a sore thumb. You really would be best advised to upgrade to the studio center if you go with the 20's. If you stay with the monitor line, I think the 5's on stands would be a great choice. I'm kind of biased since that's the pair I own, but I'm also pretty familiar with the rest of the Paradigm line. I could have afforded a pair of floorstanders, but the 5's just sounded better to me. Some people assume the 7's are the best choice cause the 5's plus stands are the same price. Well, not exactly so. The 5's and the 7's are different speakers with different sonic qualities. It's a mistake to think that they are just the same speaker, with one of them on stands and one of them floorstanding. Okay, with that said, if you stay in the monitor line I'd encourage you to go with the cc-370 if at all possible. I can empathize with your space issue on top of the tv, though, cause I had the same problem. I bought a center channel stand and placed it in front of the entertainment center when I watched movies, and then just slid it to the side of the cabinet when not in use. It worked well.....but then I realized that if I took out the drawer in the middle of the entertainment cabinet, I would have enough room on top of the tv......thank goodness for wives who enjoy HT and are willing to make some aesthetic sacrifices! [​IMG]
    Anyway, just wanted to give props to the 5's.....don't forget about the sub at some point, though.....SVS is a very nice option for a sub, and it will probably contribute toward your goal of not desiring an upgrade for several years to come [​IMG]

7. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I have the monitor 9's with no buyers remores. If you stick with the monitor series then you can upgrade within on year to the studios and your full purchase price will be credit with your trade.

The monitor series sounds great any way you go. just pick the speaker that sounds the best to you.

8. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

Hi Greg,
    Happy to hear your are going with Paradigm. Your (proposed) setup is similiar to mine. I have the cc-170, PDR-10, and Monitor 7's, along with a Sony Wega.
    I am very happy with all speakers, and the cc-170 works perfectly find with the 7's for movies. I wouln't blink an eye at that combo unless you were going to listen to alot of multi-channel music.
    Would you really need stands for the 7's?
    If you want, check out my website for some pics of paradigm speakers. I dont have any close ups of my 7's yet, but I do have super close-ups of the PDR, and cc-170.
    The link is in my sig, but here are direct links to pics:
    cc-170 (very big IMG!!)
    back of pdr

9. KenE

KenE Extra

Only thing about matching a CC with the Monitors would be that the CC-170 has a 3/4" tweeter vs the Monitors' 1" (CC-270 has a 1" as well, but it is half-incorrectly listed on Paradigm's site). I've compared the 270 vs 170 and there was a noticeable difference between the two tweeters. Thank goodness they didn't have a 370 to listen to at the time! [​IMG]

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Alan,
    You have the monitor 5's which I was thinking about buying, and you seem to like them. My dealer doesn't have a pair, and I kinda wanted to audition between the minis and the 5's. Do you have any experience with the mini's? And if so, comparisons? about $400 is perfect price, 350 for the minis would be sweet, but I might want to jump up to the 5's. I have a pair of titans now, they are quite nice, but the tweeter can be a little bit hot, and the monitor series, while still a little bright (which btw, I do like), seemed a little bit smoother/less fatiguing. Thoughts/ideas?

And while I'm at it....how would a B&W 601 stack up with these?