1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Outlook

Discussion in 'Computers' started by SethH, Jun 10, 2005.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hey guys,

I need some help with Outlook for my work computer. I was setup with a profile when I started the job (last week). Today, middle of the day, I couldn't get in. It's a pw I always use, so I wasn't mis-typing or anything. I get the helpdesk on the phone and he takes control of my comupter remotely. He resets the pw from his end and sets it to a generic pw, but it still won't let him in. Anyway, he never gets in, so he creates a new acct for me. The new acct works great, but I no longer have all my emails. My emails are not backed up on the exchange server because I was told I didn't need to when I set it up since I don't have the ability to check it from home.

Anyway, the old acct is still on the computer, I just can't get into it b/c of the pw thing. Is there anyway for me to get to the emails in the old acct? I know MS makes it obnoxiously hard to find their files, but is it even possible? I'm am familiar with the .pst file format that are used for Outlook backups, but I don't have backups, I just need to know where the actual Inbox is stored.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

All the .pst files for outlook local folders are stored in

C:Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. If you can't reimport properly there are recovery programs out there also.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

You can go to the location above and just copy the files and back them up that way. There shouldn't be a problem just reinstalling Outlook and copying those backup files into the same directory and restore your data that way.