Help with OTA antenna questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Hi, My GF just got the $99 DSR6000 DirectTivo unit and will be signing up for service and I have some OTA questions. Direct TV doesn't offer locals here so she will need an OTA antenna. I am thinking of the Terk unit that goes on the dish and has the diplexers(?) built in so you don't have to run new cable down to the Rec for the OTA feed. She lives in town and actually picks up the locals now with a broken set of rabbit ears (missing one ear). So I don't think she will need an elaborate antenna as she must be close enough to pick it up easily. Thank GOD she is getting Direct TV!
    Will the Terk unit or something similar work for her? It seems to be the easiest option. Will the DSR6000 import the local channels with this unit?
    Thanks [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Luke

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The DirecTiVo records only DirecTV. It can't record from cable or antenna.

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

OK, ? [​IMG] Maybe you misunderstood, I was asking if this would be a good solution for the antenna to pick up OTA chan. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Luke

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I understood. What I was trying to say is that the DirecTiVo does not integrate the OTA channels received by antenna with the DirecTV channels. The Terk antenna with diplexor will work, but the DirecTiVo will not tune the OTA channels, and the OTA channels will not appear in the DirecTV program guide.

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Wayne OK thanks. [​IMG] I was just confused by your response. I still haven't worked out what antenna to go with. She lives in an area where it is fairly easy to get good reception so we may shop someplace where they have a good return policy. We would start with lower end inexpensive indoor antennas and if it wasn't sufficient return it for the next model up and so forth. Working with only one TV that would keep her from spending more than she neds to. If she added another TV and receiver later we would have to use a multiswitch(?) anyway so we could get one with an Ant. input and put it inside if we end up with an cheaper indoor Ant.
    On the OTA local Chan/DirectTivo issue (no record) I am aware of that. I did think it might be possible to have the APG display the listings though as I thought I had seen posts about this with "lifeline" cable and OTA antenna users. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
    To the rest of you; any antenna advice would still be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    Luke