Help with Onkyo TX-SR600 and VCR connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GerardB, Sep 24, 2002.

1. GerardB

GerardB Auditioning

My set up:

RCA DirecTV Plus digital satellite receiver
    Onkyo TX-SR600 AV receiver
    Mitsubishi 35" TV (model CK-3526R, about 10 years old)
    Toshiba SD-2109 DVD video player (8 years old)
    JVC HR-D670U VCR
    Velodyne CHT-8 SW
    2 front, 2 surround, one center channel speakers.

I just got the Onkyo and I love it. Everything is working perfectly, except the video connection to the VCR. I get sound when playing the VHS tape, but no picture - I get the blue screen (forget about trying to record anything. That will be my next question once this is solved).

I run the RW analog audio and Y video RCA connectors from the satellite box to the Video 3 inputs of the Onkyo. I run the S-video monitor out from the Onkyo to the video monitor in of the TV. Great sound and great video from the satellite.

I run the digital audio coax cable and S-video cable from the DVD player to the Onkyo DVD input. Great sound and great video for DVD movies.

For the VCR connections: I run the RW analog audio and Y video RCA connectors from the A/V out of the VCR into the A/V in of the Onkyo. I also run the RW analog audio and Y video RCA connectors from the Onkyo A/V out to the VCR A/V in. I put in a tape, hit play, and I only get sound.

Am I correct in assuming that all video should be transmitted from the VCR (and DVD and satelltite) via whatever video cables to the Onyko (component, S-video), through the Onkyo, and to the TV via the S-video cable from the Onkyo to the TV? Why do the satellite and DVD work fine, but no video from the VCR???

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You cannot mix types of connections with many receivers. S-vid OR Composite, not BOTH. Check your manual to find out if your receiver is capable of video switching (or try composite from the receiver to TV).

Unless you have too few inputs on your TV, there is really no benefit to running the video through the receiver.

3. GerardB

GerardB Auditioning

John Garcia: Thanks for the response about mixing video connections. I have the S-video from the Onkyo to the TV. It's true that I have an S-video from the DVD to the Onkyo, but I also have an RCA connector from the satellite to the Onkyo, and it works fine. I did try to run the video from the Onkyo into the TV using an RCA connector, but that didn't work either.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There could be any number of things going on here.

The FIRST thing you need to do is connect the VCR directly to the TV and verify that it is, in fact, sending video signal.

Once you know the VCR works, try hooking it through the same connection as the satellite video input, since you know that one works. On the same note, switch the satellite to the VCR connection point on the receiver to verify the video can get through via that connection.

Also note that for a given input on most TVs, you cannot typically connect two different video sources to it.

5. David-S

David-S Second Unit

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

gerard - assuming you followed john's instructions and verified that the vcr works (is outputting a video signal) then you can safely assume it's your receiver.
    since you know the receiver does output to the tv (because your satellite works) then it has to be something about the specific input you're using for the vcr.
    try putting the vcr feed to a different input and see what happens. heck, that thing should have at least two or three video inputs. does it have aux rca jacks in the front? if it works on other inputs, then maybe you have a defective receiver.
    also (and this is a shot in the dark), i believe some of the newer receivers require some input configuring. you have to "assign" inputs via the OSD. i'm not sure if your particular model has this necessity or not.