help with onkyo tx-sr501, cant get digital signal, onkyo tx-sr501!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KyleCT, Jan 5, 2004.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

im testing out an onkyo 501 from circuit city. However i can not get a digital signal. Right now i have optical cable running from my dvd to the reciever. The reciever says "PCM" and i can only switch between DTS neo and dolby pro logic 2. I chose DTS from a dvd menu and the Dolby Digital light came on but no sound came out. Any ideas?

2. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Make sure in the Input setup, "ALL" is sellected in the Digital Formats. Also, you'll have to make sure that DTS and DD out is enanble in ypur dvd player.

3. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Does sound come out even when you get PCM on the receiver? To the left of the PCM do you see an "A" with a box around it? If not then you don't have the primary speakers turned on. To turn them on, you need to select your speakers by pressing the Speaker A button on the top left of the front of the receiver. This should cause the capital A with the box around it to display to the left of PCM and you should get sound at that point. Then press the "Speaker Adjust" button, located below the rightmost corner of the LCD display, and configure the Onkyo's speaker setup for 5.1 or 6.1 by scrolling through the selections with the "Preset/Adjust" buttons.

Getting PCM and Dolby Digital displays on the receiver means it's getting the signal over the optical cable from your source. Once you turn on and configure the speaker set, you should be good to go.

4. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

Yes my speakers are enabled. I can get sound but it is a pcm signal.

for input setup do you mean the "digital input" button? when i push that it cycles through optical 1/2, coaxial, and then "----" for analog signals. When i push surround it cycles through dts neo:music, dts neo:cinema, PL2: music, PL2: cinema.

Do you have to actually enable dts and DD on your dvd player. It is compatible if thats what you mean. I thought it automatically did it.

5. John S

John S Producer

Many DVD players do require the Audio setup in their system menu....

What DVD player are you using????

If it happens to be a PS/2, I know for a fact you have to do this. You must enable DD 5.1 and DTS output.

6. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

You need to change the signal from PCM to bitstream in the DVD players menu.

rogo

7. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Onkyo receivers also have a setting under the digital input setting thats called "INPUT FORMAT", choices are "AUTO", "DIGITAL", "ANALOG", "PCM" and "DTS". Set this to "AUTO".

8. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

thanks everybody, i just had to set it up in my dvd player.