Help with Onkyo TX-DS 777 Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Bass, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Shane Bass

Shane Bass Extra

Everybody will have to forgive me as I am a rookie at posting but I have a situation that I can't figure out to save me. When I purchased my receiver, the salesman told me that all the video connections would have to be the same thing: either all S-Video or RCA video jacks in the back of the receiver in order for the receiver to work. Since I did not have a S-VHS VCR, I connected the video using RCA jacks. This past Christmas, my wife gave me a S-VHS VCR and I tried connecting all of my equipment to my receiver via S-Video cables. However, once I made these S-Video connections to my receiver and then connected my receiver to the TV, the picture was in black and white. I have 3 inputs on my TV and everyone had a black and white picture. When I connected my DVD player to these inputs, the picture was normal. Is it possible that my S-Video socket on my receiver is faulty, thus giving me the black and white image? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem has worried me for the longest time. Thanks!

2. Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons Agent

Shane,
    I do not have my 777 hooked up to my bedroom system right now, but instead using it for its amp section to test some speakers. I pulled out the Instruction manual to see if I could come up with any ideas. I am not sure about the statement from the dealer sales rep regarding only using composite (RCA) or S Video connections. Page 9 on your manual indicates that V (RCA) inputs will only output on V and the same for S Video. It also indicates you should check with your monitor/TV booklet to see if you need to either or both.
    From your post, I assume you have S-Video connections from your video sources to the imput sections on your 777. I also assume you then have an S-Video output connection on Monitor Out to your TV. Does your TV require you to select S-Video either in a menu or on a switch or connector on the set?
    Will

3. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Shane,
    I have a 777. From what I read in your post, it sounds like your our running the video outs of the VCR and DVD to the receiver via S and the video out of the receiver to the TV video in via composite (RCA). The 777 will not convert a S video signal into a composite video signal. You need to have a S-video input on your television in order for this situation to work. Or, you will have to run all RCAs for video from DVD to receiver, VCR to receiver, receiver to TV. Good luck!

4. Shane Bass

Shane Bass Extra

Thanks for the advice everybody! I have my system set up so that when I tried to connect the receiver to the TV via S-Video cables, I connected all of my video sources to the receiver with S-Video. The picture was in black and white. To make sure that it wasn't the cable, I connected my DVD player straight to the TV at the same input where I had tried the receiver. I used the same S-Video cable that I had tried with the receiver and the picture from the DVD player was normal. So I basically ruled out the cable and the S-Video socket on the input of the TV. The only thing that I can think of is the S-Video socket on the receiver. But nobody else seems to have this problem so maybe that is not it at all. I don't really know at this point. I really do appreciate all of your help with this issue. Thanks again!