1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Onkyo TX-DS 777 Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Bass, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Shane Bass

Shane Bass Extra

Everybody will have to forgive me as I am a rookie at posting but I have a situation that I can't figure out to save me. When I purchased my receiver, the salesman told me that all the video connections would have to be the same thing: either all S-Video or RCA video jacks in the back of the receiver in order for the receiver to work. Since I did not have a S-VHS VCR, I connected the video using RCA jacks. This past Christmas, my wife gave me a S-VHS VCR and I tried connecting all of my equipment to my receiver via S-Video cables. However, once I made these S-Video connections to my receiver and then connected my receiver to the TV, the picture was in black and white. I have 3 inputs on my TV and everyone had a black and white picture. When I connected my DVD player to these inputs, the picture was normal. Is it possible that my S-Video socket on my receiver is faulty, thus giving me the black and white image? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem has worried me for the longest time. Thanks!

2. Doug Dickeson

Hi, Shane-
    I don't have the 777, but I do have the 787. Just as a side note, I think that the salesperson was misinformed about needing identical inputs. Sounds like a quick training job to me.
    In any event, S video as you may or may not know, consists of a luminance (black and white) and a chrominance (color) signal. Two separate signals, two separate paths, although it's one connection. That's why there's four pins in the connector, BTW.
    About 85% of the interface problems that I see can be traced to cables, so the odds would be that the S video cable between your receiver and television would be to blame. You might try swapping another cable with it and see if the problem "travels" with the cable.
    Having said that, it's also possible that the connection on your receiver is faulty.