What's new

Help with Onkyo SR600 (1 Viewer)

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Can someone PLEASE verify if the SR600 converts composite video signals to s-video--not picture quality wise--I mean can I use composite & s-video connections to the receiver and just s-video out to my TV? I've read the manual(downloaded it)but cannot find it mentioned in the manual at all,yet I've heard a number of people state it does this plus the literature I've read at different web sites states it does this as well,but Onkyo's own web site does not mention this at all. Thanks :)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
In last year's line-up the 696 had this feature but the 595 did not. If/when the 700's manual is available I would try reading it to see if and where it mentions this feature. Then compare to the 600's manual.

You could also compare the 696 manual to the 600 manual.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Ryan--the SR600 manual also includes the SR700 model--they share the same manual but nothing's mentioned for either model regarding the video conversion. Thanks though. Anyone else know if the SR600 can do this? Come on you SR600 owners. Thanks.:D

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
I have the 600 and unfortunately it does not convert composite video to s-video. It only sends the signal out the way it came in. I tried hooking up digital cable (which does not have an s-video output) through composite and send it to my television in S-video, but I am unable to see the picture. The only solution I've heard is to get a composite to s-video convertor so that the input signal comes in through s-video. I've been doing some research and found this place online that has the convertors:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=180-141
I hope this helps.
Chris

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
It clearly states in the manual that the 700 does svideo-composit conversion, the 600 does not. Look again...

I was expecting my 600 to do this too, real bummer when I hooked it up and it didn't. I originally looked at the 700 setup page (the hookup pages are separate, the 700 first few, then the 600 next...) and thought it would do it. Then no picture, look closer at manual and figured it out...damn...decided it wasn't worth the extra $100+ for the SR700. I ended up taking back several cables too, so it's really like $200+ more to have svideo switching...

Oh well, otherwise I'm really happy with the 600. No problems with the power issues others keep posting about. Played several DTS/DD DVDs and no issues of speakers lowering power or anything during intense action...

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Christopher--thanks for the info & link. I was already aware that Parts Express has the adapter for $5 whereas Radio Shack has one for $20!!!! But...after shipping($8.95!)it's pretty much a wash to me.Thanks anyway :)
Jason--I'll have to take another look.I really didn't look too closely at the pages for the SR700 since that's not the model I was considering.I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your SR600.Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks