What's new

Help with Onkyo Receiver Hookup (1 Viewer)

Al Roberts

Auditioning
I just purchased a Onkyo DS595 Receiver. This is my first atempt at a Digital surround system. The Question I have is about Video hookup into the Onkyo. I had a old Pioneer pro logic I just ran the audio into it and hooked the video from the source to the tv. I want to know if most here run there video into the receiver to. I use S-video for all my connecions except for roof antenna. any thoughts or help would be great. also what are the advantages and disadvantages of video running through the receiver.

Thanks

system as of now:

53' TV

Directtivo (dual tuner with tivo)

Roof Antenna

Playstation 2

VCR (dust collecter)

DVD player toshiba

speaker system with powered sub.

Ashok

Agent
Most people seem to prefer running video to the receiver. It will give you a little signal degradation, varying with each receiver.

However, most people agree that the advantages outweigh this disadvantage. Using your receiver allows you to hook things up if you don't have enough inputs on your TV. The Onkyo 595 doesn't have one, but if it did, using the receiver also allows you to utilize your on-screen display. Finally, and most importantly, it makes it more convenient to switch between sources.

If you only have one source, there is really no reason to run video through the receiver. With two or more, it becomes an option.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also subscribe to 'run everything through the receiver' camp.

for me, it's the only way to go and i have not noticed any signal degredation by doing this.

i definitely recommend you test for yourself and see if you notice any video signal loss. since you're running s-video for everything, i doubt you will.

it all boils down to personal preference...in all actuality either way will work fine.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
I run everything through my Onkyo 797 VIA S-Video or RCA (VCRs). As far as signal degredation...I haven't noticed any. In fact, the video looks better than when I ran everything through my Pioneer VSX-906s. The only thing I did was swap out receivers. The nice thing about the Onkyo's switching is that there's only one video cable going to the TV now, and I don't have to change TV inputs from S-Video to RCA when watching VHS material. It's all done internally in the reciever. Very cool. Especially for when my electronics challenged mother comes to visit. Last time, she couldn't figure out how to change it back to the satellite and ended up pushing random buttons until she found the cable source my apartment so generously provides. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks