Help with Novell Netware ASAP!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Timon Russo, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I have an old file server running 3.12 and I desparately need some files on it!! It boots fine, to the FS_1: prompt but now what do I do? It had an I: drive and I want a file from a directory on that drive. It has a floppy drive and the file is small.

But what are the Netware commands for doing this???

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I believe you have to have a client connection to access files. This can't be done from the command line on the server.

Install the latest Novell client and choose bindery mode, not NDS. Of course, you will need to know a couple of things like supervisor password.

-Christian

3. Timon Russo

I was hoping that wasn't the case. The network card in that PC is the old BNC type. So I would actually need to score one of those, install it in my PC and log on to the server using an old login/password just to get a file? Thats tragic, because I really need it. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

4. Scott Littlefield

Scott Littlefield Stunt Coordinator

Download the Novell Toolbox:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1499.html

Also, note that another patch, LIB312A, must be applied to the Netware box before this will work.

After it is installed the toolbox.nlm will give you many command line options.

5. Timon Russo

Thanks Scott. But I am really hopeless. I downloaded it and have toolbox.nlm on a floppy, but really don't know how to get it on the server. My whole problem is I don't know the commands for moving files to and from the server. So if you have any last thoughts, I'd appreciate them!

6. Scott Littlefield

Try loading it off of the floppy instead of copying it to the server first. Once it is in memory you can use the toolbox to copy itself over to the server, if that's where you want it.

7. Timon Russo

I got it running, and can use the DIR command to get a list of files and folders in the FS_1:/SYS/ directory. I even used the CHDIR command to switch to FS_1:/VOL1/ which I remembere was the name of a drive, but it wasn't the one I wanted. I thought what I wanted was VOL2, but there is nothing there. I couldn't see a command which listed drives, or volumes, but it sounds like that's what I need. Rather than keep guessing. I swear if this doesn't produce results soon, I am giving up. In the meantime, thanks for all the help.

8. Scott Littlefield

At the console, type "dir ?" and look at what switches are available. I don't have access to a Netware box anymore so I can't check this for you.

Chances are there will be a "search subdirectories" switch. So if you know the filename you can do a dir with the name and switch(es) and have it search the entire volume for you.

Something like "dir filename.ext /s" might be used to search the entire contents of the volume.

I doubt that is the correct syntax, but it might be close.

9. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

You need to do a couple of things. First you need to make sure that all the Server volumes are mounted. Not all volumes are mounted unless it is in the autoexec.ncf to mount them all. At the Server Console type in

mount all

This will mount all the Server volumes. Once they are mounted type in

volumes

This should tell you the names of all the volumes. Then on the client machine use Network Places (or whatever) to browse to the volume that you are looking for.

As far as connecting to the Sever from a client machine you have several options. The built in Microsoft client will work well. For Novell 3.12 you need to use IPX/SPX not TCP/IP. You should be able to find a hub that has both BNC and RJ-45 connectors on it. Don't forget to terminate the BNC connectors with 50 ohm terminations.

If you want to only use the toolbox.nlm try copying the file to your DOS partition. Then you can take the HD from the Server and put it in another PC and get the files that way.

There are some other issues that could be preventing you from accessing the files. If you want to spend the time working thru them just post back here and I will be more then willing to help you.

Laters,
    Jeff

10. Scott Littlefield

Jeff,

Your advice is good except for two things. His NIC is an old BNC type connector, and he doesn't have a client with a suitable connector. Also, he doesn't know where the files are. All he knows is that on his workstation there was a drive mapped to I: at the time he was using this server. However, I get the impression he doesn't know exactly where the I: drive was mapped. So he can't just copy the files down to the DOS partition yet. He still needs help finding the files.

Of course, he also might have just given up by now.

11. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Scott -

Yup I understand the issue with the different connectors. That is why I mentioned the hub with the BNC and RJ-45 slots. That will be able to "convert" the wire types for him.

I only mentioned the mount all because he mentioned that he thought that what he want was on VOL2 and perhaps all the volumes were not mounted.

Of course if he has access to the Server and knows the password for the supervisor all he would have to do is look at the login script and he could find out where exactly the I: drive was mapped to.

Laters,
    Jeff

12. Scott Littlefield

I got the impression that he inherited this server and has no real resources available to him. So my guess is he won't have access to any old hub equipment and will have to make do with what he has available to him.

And he won't need the Supervisor password if he has access to the console (unless it is locked through Monitor, but a reboot will fix that!). If the I: drive was mapped at the server and not at the workstation then yes, he could look at the login script.

Still no new response from Timon, so I think this conversation is only between us now. [​IMG]

13. Timon Russo

Scott and Jeff -

Thanks so much and sorry for my absence. I realized I had a bit more time than I thought so I put this project off. Now I am back on it. The toolbox thing worked and I can browse the various volumes, except now, VOL2 doesn't mount for some reason. I don't know if it was something I did, but when I started looking around for my files (which I know are on I: drive, and I know the path, etc.) I realized I couldn't even view VOL2: (I: drive) then noticed that it failed to mount during the boot process. It was just mounting fine last month before I disconnected the server and brought it home, so I don't know what happened there...

In the meantime, I thought, why not take one of the recent backup tapes and restore all the files from that. After all, I also have the HP Surestore DAT drive on which they were all made. So I got one of my junk PCs set up and took the SCSI card from the old file server and put it in the junk PC. I connected the drive and installed the basic drivers and it seems to work just fine. However, the tapes themselves were made with Arcserve for Netware, which I have, but can't install because I don't have a Netware network!!! So I've been looking for some simple Arcserve tape reading utility that will run under Win98 that doesn't require me to install the whole backup software. No dice.

So I bought a NIC that has both types of connectors, and soon, I am going to set up a Netware net using the junk PC and the old server. I hope I: drive mounts. If not, I will be attempting to do an Arcserve restore of the files I need.

One more thing, I contacted a data recovery place about reading the tapes for me, and was quoted $2000. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks again for reading this and I would certainly appreciate any more thoughts on the matter.

-Timon

14. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Timon -

A couple of things that you can check really quick. Perhaps VOL2 is on another HD? Have you opened up the case and double checked all of the power and cable connections to all of the HD's?

Also if you type in the "mount all" command at the server prompt what is the exact error that you get

If the System Drive is ok and Novell is up and running you can use the volume repair utility to try and fix the errors on VOL2 that are preventing from mounting.

Laters,
    Jeff

15. Timon Russo

Whew, I got it! Well, mostly.

After farting around in MONITOR, looking at the drives, etc. I noticed that DEVICE #3 (aka VOL2:, aka I[​IMG] was inactive. It failed the MOUNTing process but I couldn't tell what error it was. Then as I was scratching my head, I heard a drive spin up and when I typed MOUNT ALL, it mounted VOL2:!!!

I copied some files, then it crapped out and the server shut down. But so far so good! Thanks again for all the help.

16. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Ahhh, Netware 3.12... I miss those days. At my old job we had a Netware 3.12 box that was running in a closet for literally YEARS before they noticed it... that is when the place closed down and everything moved out.

I haven't worked with Netware in over 2 years, but reading through this thread really brought all the commands back from the blackhole in my head. [​IMG]