Help with Norton Internet Security

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Richard_T, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I need help. I use Norton Internet Security and I'm having an issue with my computer. For some reason, when IS is on I cannot get on the internet using my cable modem. I used to be able to but now the pages won't load at all. As soon as I disable IS, everything works fine so I'm assuming that there is a configuration problem with my IS program. Can some help me out here? This never used to happen. What could I have done to make this happen since I haven't knowingly changed anything in Norton Internet Security. As you can probably tell I'm no pc genius so some dumbed down help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not be on the internet without my firewall but right now I have to just to get on. HELP![​IMG]

2. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Do you connect to your cable modem using ethernet? If so, try running the home networking wizard in NIS as it may be blocking your network card from accessing the net.

3. John Collins

John Collins Auditioning

Is the problem with NIS or just NAV? I had the same problem a few weeks ago but it was with NAV....problem popped up out of nowhere. I unistalled and reinstalled NAVand it fixed the problem. However, I got tired on how NIS and NAV were such a memory hog so I broke down and bought Trend Micr's internte security with anti-virus. A much better and more stable product.

John

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Most Simple answer which I learned the hard way is that "Block Traffic" has been clicked on. If you have the green icon in the taskbar does it have a red circle on one edge?

If so (or you don't have the icon), make sure to click on the "allow traffic" button at the top of the control center.

Other than that, I would guess some rule has been created in the filters which isn't allowing communications. You could try restoring the defaults or turning off one function at a time and seeing if it restores your internet.