Help with new tv purchase

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy Stocker, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, I'm still somewhat a newbie but I think I'm ready to take the HD plunge! I was hoping some of you could give me a few tips. Here is what I am looking for in a High-Def TV.

1) somewhere in the 1500-1600 range
    2) no larger than 46 inch, but must be a tabletop. The reason for this is I do not want to buy a new entertainment center just yet...I have a O'Sullivan that I paid 300 for and if need be I will just cut the top half off and sit the tv on top of it. I know that may sound cheap but I'm not looking for a monster tv anyway, and I don't feel like getting rid of my ent. center that I like and buying a putting together another one right now.
    3) must have at least 2 HD componet hookups
    4) must not be a Daewoo, RCA, or anything else that I don't trust unless someone proves me otherwise.
    5) must be widescreen

Now, I do have a few questions. I've got an Xbox, will have a progressive scan DVD player and I just found out my cable provider now supplies a HD signal, but I haven't been buy the office to see what connections they have on their box...is it true that some digital boxes use the DVI input, or is that strictly for computer use. What I'm getting at is I want to be able to use all 3 of my High Definition sources without using any video switching. I do realize that I can go to Radio Shack and use a regular video switcher for componet, but if I can avoid that I would buy a tv that has a DVI input if that meant I could hook my cable box up to it and use the other 2 HD sources for my XBOX and DVD player...also I plan on getting the new TIVO HD when it comes out so I guess I might have to use a video switcher anyway.
    My last question is about resolution. I've read where 1080i and 720p have their pros and cons but it seems most formats are 1080i and it is not easy to find a tv that is 720p capable, am I right? Do I need to make sure I get a tv that is 720p capable, if not for now for the future? I kind of get the feeling that comparing 1080i and 720p is like comparing Dolby Digital and DTS...
    Anyway, I've been doing some shopping at Best Buy and Circuit City as well as the internet, and I have found a few models I am interested in. One I am interested in, is the panasonic pt-4lc12. Does anyone have this model? If anyone has any input or suggestions for me I'd appreciate it, or at least point me to a "primer" or guide on this forum about the 1080i-720p stuff.

Thanks a million,

Andy Stocker
    Evansville IN

2. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any ideas for me???
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I wanted to ask about store bought warranties and what you guys thought of them.

Thanks again,

Andy Stocker

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I bought the Sony 46WT510 from Circuit City and am very pleased with the set. I did not buy an extended warranty for it. I looked at the Toshiba 46" at best buy as well as the 46" Hitachi at Circuit City. Much of my decision was based on positive reviews for the Sony as well as positive prior experience with Sony direct view and RPTV's. I saw a 42" Samsung I thought had an excellent image but I am very happy I did not go any smaller than 46". It is perfect at my 8ft. seating distance. I can't wait to see HDTV on my set, currently I am limited to satellite and progressive scan dvd.