Help with new speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike*Hunt, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Mike*Hunt

Mike*Hunt Auditioning

I am going to be setting up a home theater system in our newly finished basement. Because of our wide open floor plan, I could not use the walls for mounting surround speakers and floor stands would have not been practicle with the room layout. So before drywalling the ceiling I installed 2X4's between the floor joists where I could hang my surrounds. I wired and braced for a 7.1 system just in case but my just go with 5.1 at first. We have 9ft. ceilings, so I have the room and strong enough anchor points for decent size surrounds. So there is my situation and now here is my question. I read a guideline once for which surrounds to mount for different situations, but I can't now locate such a guide. For 'hang from the ceiling' surrounds, with no walls nearby to bounce the sound around, it recommended either dipolar, bipolar or direct radiating speakers. Does anyone know which type of surrounds would be best suit my needs? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. Mike*Hunt

Mike*Hunt Auditioning

Thanks for the reply, I have my speaker locations worked out. Mainly I just need to know what type of speaker would sound best if they are not near any wall or corner, dipolar or direct radiating? They would probably hang about 6" down from the ceiling.

4. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya Mike,

I like my sounds in the face, none of that diffuse surround stuff that comes from di/tripolar speakers but of course that is just me. You will get different opinions from different camps on this topic of direct or diffuse radiating surrounds so it will be what you like best, no right or wrong here.
    Just my humble opinions.

Regards.
    David SGT

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think I misunderstood the question somewhat. I agree with DavidSGT, I prefer monopoles, and if they are just going to be hanging with no rear wall for reflections, I'd probably go with monopoles.

6. Mike*Hunt

Mike*Hunt Auditioning

Direct radiating it is then, I believe that is what I remember reading being recommended. Thanks.