Help with new setup ::cries::

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewLei, Mar 7, 2003.

1. MatthewLei

MatthewLei Extra

Well I have a crappy home theater in a box. It has a built in dvd/cd player and claims to do 5.1 audio. The manual is no help at all. It came with a center, 2 fronts, 2 rears an a sub. DVDs and Audio cds sound great. When I hook my games in to it using the AV wires I only get sound from the front right and left. It doesn't have a fiber input but it has a digital input. The only problem is the digital input is labeled Digital Audio OUT. Wtf is the point of digital audio out on a recieve? Is it really supposed to be labeled digital audio out? I got this as a gift from a friend thining I would be enjoying games in surround sound.. ::Cries:: help me!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Matthew,

What game system?

In order to get 5.1, you would have to have a digital connection. If you use the 2 red/white analog AV hookup- this will only be stereo-- and without some sort of processing (Pro Logic, etc) - 2 channel audio will be just that, 2 channels.

Some systems offer digital output for multichannel gaming- although that's not all that common just yet. Even with a digital connection, many games supply 2 channel audio- and you can apply processing like PRO LOGIC to get a form of "surround".

-Vince

3. MatthewLei

MatthewLei Extra

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This unit does prologic- which is a "filter" that takes a 2 channel signal and processes it into surround. Check the manual to find out how to turn on pro logic for the input your game systems are connected to.

Again, some systems offer 5.1 surround via the digital connection (although often it only does 5.1 during cut scenes)--- but as long as you're using the analog 2 channel connections, then the only way to get surround is to use processing like Pro Logic.

-V

5. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator