Help with new PartsExpress Subwoofer AMP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SamCK, Dec 25, 2003.

1. SamCK

SamCK Agent

I purchased the amp linked below. Only diference is that mine is the 150W version which they don't seem to ahev listed anymore. When I plug it in, with the switch in the off position, a red light comes on and remains on. When I switch it to on or auto, a green light comes on. I plugged my coaxial subwoofer receiver output into the "red" line in coaxial plug, and hooked up my base shakers to the high level output.... nothing happened. I tried several shakers just in case it was the Aura base shaker. My original subwoofer works fine, and when I hook the cable from the "line in" into my other subwoofer it works fine. It seems like the amp isn't working. I don't think there should be a constant red light in the off position, and when I plug it in or turn it to the on position, it doesn't seem to make any noise or get hot. Any suggestions?

2. JohnW

JohnW Stunt Coordinator

The high level output has power only if you feed it with speaker level input. Even that, the power would have come from your receiver, not the sub amp. Take a look at the following FAQs:

http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/subwoofer.html

Do you intend to use the sub amp to power your bass shaker? There should be two wires (red and black) with speaker connectors that you normally hook up to your subwoofer driver. That is where the sub amp outputs its power.

The red LED in the off position is normal when the amp is plugged in.

Hope this helps.

3. SamCK

SamCK Agent

Yes. I purchased the subwoofer amp to powe my Aura pro base shakers. My receiver has a low frequency sub woofer output (RCA jack) and I purchased a Y-cable, and have one end running to my regular subwoofer (RCA inpt with built in amp), and the other end running to the "low level input" on the sub woofer amp. The base shakers, as you know, have red and black wire inputs. I had tried to hook these up to the high output, but had no sound... after reading your post and link I understand why.

How can I hook these shakers up to the sub woofer amp. As far as I can gather now, the only output I could use would be the "low level out", but that is a RCA jack.

How do you suggest I hook up this system.... Thanks.

4. SamCK

SamCK Agent

Thanks. I wasn't using the wires on the back.... I know, I know... I was trying to use the hookups in the front. I originally thought the rear wires were for a car application. Good output now. Seems kind of wierd, however, that the red light stays on even in the off position. I asumed it woudl stay on when "off" in auto mode, but thought it would turn on with the switch. Should I unplug it when not using the shakers?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Quote:
    Seems kind of wierd, however, that the red light stays on even in the off position.
    I suspect the amp is european. If you apply power to the unit, the LED will glow to indicate a powered device. (It's a safety thing).

My SVS subwoofer with the built-in amp does the same thing.