Help with New LCD setup?!?!?!?

hibsy33

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Hi all...this is my first time posting on this site and i think i came to the right place...i just purchased a new Syntax OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V) from Circuit city yesterday and i was hoping someone could shed some light on what steps i need to take to make sure im doing everything correctly in set-up. Right now i have the tv connected to a XBOX 360 via VGA component as well as to my digital cable time warner box. My main concern is caring for the system in terms of watchin dvd's, and local ditigal programming. I have completed the calibrating test using a dvd, and my contrast is set to just under 50%.

When i am flipping through analog channels and i come to hd channels, the channel will start out as a full-screen picture and then change so that there are black bars on both sides after about five minutes or so. then i can not get the full screen to go back out to its original position. Is this normal?? Also, my zoom 1 and 2 look awkward and some of the picture is cut off, especially on espn when i cant see scores at bottom of screen. SOme DVD's have black bars on both sides also and im wondering if i need to change resolution, or other settings to fix this dillema. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You need to go into the setup of both your TW cable box and your DVD player and change the "TV type" or "TV shape" from 4:3 to 16:9.

The zoom modes should only be used to zoom non-anamorphic (hard-matted) letterboxed material on DVD or non-HD channels. Your set should automatically adjust for anamorphic widescreen and normal 4:3 material.

You should get "pillar box" bars on the right and left side of the screen for native 4:3 material, and you will still get lettebox bars at the top and bottom of the screen when you view material that is wider than the 16:9 (1.77:1) aspect ratio of your screen. 2.35:1 films like Star Wars and wider ones like Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur will all show black bars. 1.85:1 films should show very small black bars, but this is often lost in a set's overscan area and some "1.85:1" films are zoomed slight or have the mattes opened slightly on DVD to match the native aspect ratio of widescreen TVs, so you may not see them.

4:3 material should never fill your entire screen if all you equipmet is set up correctly and your TV is in the right mode. If it does you are either stretching and distorting it or zooming it so that you're cutting off the top and bottom (and possibly some of the sides) of the picture. Your TV should probably be set to "full" or "automatic" mode. (Different sets use different names for these modes, I'm only familiar with JVC, Toshiba and Westinghouse.)

Regards,

Joe

hibsy33

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
well, i checked the time warner box, and under settings i ddidnt find any options on how to change the tv type to what you specified. ON the other hand though, i was able to change the tv type using my xbox 360 so i should be all set with dvds and games. Thanks for your time and help, i just wanted to make sure i should be seeing those black lines at times and they are not doing damage to the tv.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, it is hard to damage an LCD TV. They don't use phosphors like CRTs and Plasamas, so they aren't subject to burn-in. (Although if you abuse the hell out of them by running static images for days at a time, as in some commercial display functions, you can create a similar "image persistance" problem. The difference is that image persistance is extremely rare and fairly easy to corrrect, whereas burn-in is more common and difficult to impossible to reverse.)

What make and model is your TW box? And which outputs are you using from it to the TV? HDMI? Component? Not s-video, coax or (shudder) composite, I hope. I can almost guarantee that there is a setting similar to the one I described buried in the menu somewhere. It may just be a matter of digging it out.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You're welcome, but I'm not sure what you're thanking me for.
But that's OK, I'll take thanks anywhere I can get 'em.

Joe

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDCourier