Help with new home theater, opinions needed, HK 7200 vs separates

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Krelkor, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Krelkor

Krelkor Auditioning

Hey guys
    ive been browsing the boards a little bit, first time poster, obviously. I hang around the car audio boards with the same name. Huge into car audio, so get technical on me [​IMG]

dad has given me a budget of around 10k, give or take a little bit to do a whole new home theater, starting from scratch.

Originally i had planned on going seperates. Ive been told that is a must for any audiophile. However, being more into car audio than home audio... i am at a loss when it comes to bang for the buck amplifiers.

Right now, however, we are set on a receiver. the HK AVR-7200. A friend of the family is an engineer at HK japan, and we can get the 7200 for under 700$, this is the main reason for thinking about this route.
    if you can convince me otherwise, please try to do so [​IMG]

Honestly, this is for my father, so it is mostly for movies and his eric clapton and eagles dvd. I doubt he will notice the subtle differences between minute changes in amplification.

So i guess, the short question is, HK AVR 7200, vs anything else in the price range, say 2k for amplification on at least 5 channels

Thanks guys, i appreciate it
    also, there is a thread in the TV forum, if you have a chance please look at that one as well
    -steve

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

3. Krelkor

Krelkor Auditioning

Great reply sir, i thank you

the room is small
    if i were to guess.... 12'w x 30'l x 10'h

dont know what way we are going to face the tv yet.... put it on the 30' wall if we do actual freestanding TV, but otherwise on the 12' wall if we do overhead projector

We have not been auditioning speakers yet
    However the B&W 702s have cought my eye, based purely on reputation
    we are also looking at some paradigm stuff
    so some pretty big towers for the front, and then smaller wall mounts for the rear

Subwoofer.... i think i have that covered, 1500$ for that

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well the HK AVR-7200 is an awesome piece and I wish I had that...

As for the room, it looks to be like a medium size room or so that is a little long so I would go with some decent floor standing speakers.

I love Klipsch personally and just a couple of there speakers to check out are there RF-5 for fronts, there RC-7 for a center and the RS-7 for surrounds.

Now the RF-5 is a tad lower than there flagship model the RF-7 so depending on how much he wants it's always good to look around. That is my reccomendation... but everyone has there own opinion on sound. I love Klipsch though.

Some other speakers to look at that are good are JBL, Infinity, Jamo, Polk, Athena. Everything depends on your budget as well.

For subwoofers the best for home audio is probably an SVS. Anyone who has a decent amount of money to spend on a subwoofer I know has gone with an SVS, or has been able to do some very good wood working.

I hope this helps you out.

Make sure you look at a decent amount of speakers before you make your choice though, some people like a brighter sound like Klipsch, some people like a more neutral sound like Athena, some like a warmer sound... look around before you make your decision.

Good luck.